No announcement yet.

bike wont charge...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery was low when I got the 13.7. I'm charging it up now. Can't wait until a dry non freezing day.
    1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Those wires look like the PO replaced the original bullet connectors on the stator and they eventual oxidized and got hot and melted together.

Shame on you for not following rule number one for GS Charging. Stator should be directed connected to the R/R. And you have changed 3 stator out??????

I know you are not following rule number 3 only use an SERIES R/R for large displacement motors.

I'm guessing you are not following rule number 2 for a SPG.

If you stop here you are going to be having the same problems again within 6 months.

Comment

I believe it has a Ricks r/r. I bought it before I read your post. Looks like Ive worn out my welcome. I tried to follow the steps. I couldnt figure them out. Its a byproduct of my inability to read technical material and make sence of it. It has always been an extreme struggle for me, and yes, I do feel shame over it.
        I'll move the ground to single point. Ive already put electrical grease on all the fuse holders and their backings. I was told it was the same as Naval jelly. Im not trying to **** anybody off, but I can tell I am, so I'll try to post as little as possible. I truly do appreciate the help. Its a great site.
        1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

The real shame would be if you felt unwelcome and couldn't post stupid questions
          We aren't all geniuses and learn at different rates. Keep plugging away and keep reading those instructions until they do make sense. There are no short cuts but if you keep trying, one day the penny drops and you wonder what all the fuss was about.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by turbojonn View Post
            I believe it has a Ricks r/r. I bought it before I read your post. Looks like Ive worn out my welcome. I tried to follow the steps. I couldnt figure them out. Its a byproduct of my inability to read technical material and make sence of it. It has always been an extreme struggle for me, and yes, I do feel shame over it.
            I'll move the ground to single point. Ive already put electrical grease on all the fuse holders and their backings. I was told it was the same as Naval jelly. Im not trying to **** anybody off, but I can tell I am, so I'll try to post as little as possible. I truly do appreciate the help. Its a great site.
            Way to go guys... Nothing like making a guy feel un welcome just because he's struggling with electrical issues.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. At one time I didn't understand much either. It just falls into place as your brain makes the connections, which is something us humans are pretty good at.
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                The real shame would be if you felt unwelcome and couldn't post stupid questions
                We aren't all geniuses and learn at different rates. Keep plugging away and keep reading those instructions until they do make sense. There are no short cuts but if you keep trying, one day the penny drops and you wonder what all the fuss was about.
                This is such a true statement. Electrical issues have always been tough for me to figure out. Finally one day while putting together a mini SPG harness, it started making sense to me. For me, just reading about how wiring works, didn't help my understanding much. Physically putting it together while following what I had read is what did the trick.
                https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                  While I'll admit a certain frustration with John, I'm by no means suggesting he leave. Stupid questions would likely avoid stupid mistakes and I can always choose to not answer . In fact I suspect that with a few "stupid questions" John's comprehension level would improve dramatically and he would get his bike fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                    Way to go guys... Nothing like making a guy feel un welcome just because he's struggling with electrical issues.
                    You can blame me if you must, but I beleive participants in the forum have an obligation to at least attempt to read (i.e. comprehend) the information that has already been posted about repairs. Of course it is not always easy to find, and it might take time to sift through and in the case of the electrical it might be harder to understand.

However having said that there are not too many people that have read the various information and have not stumbled across the need to directly connect the stator to the R/R. And yes there are even questions then about what to do with the spare wires. But, that person would have read and at least understood what they don't know and asked questions to try and gain an understanding of the material so they can do the proper repairs.

Unfortunately it does not appear as if John does this very well. He doesn't need to be shunned or barred but taking a little more time with the material would be more in line with forum protocol.

Comment

Jim, we all fall into the trap of ASSUMING too much some times. Sometimes it's not that the material wasn't read. It's that the material was not absorbed properly or was at a level that was not easily understood. You do the best you can to educate people and I commend you for that. It's just that we sometimes are patients is stretched more on any given day. I know that mine has been from time to time. Hopefully turbojohn will stay around long enough to absorb the material needed to get his GS up and running and become a happy member of the GSR.
                      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        While I'll admit a certain frustration with John, I'm by no means suggesting he leave. Stupid questions would likely avoid stupid mistakes and I can always choose to not answer . In fact I suspect that with a few "stupid questions" John's comprehension level would improve dramatically and he would get his bike fixed.
                        Never thought for one moment that you were suggesting anything remotely like John's leaving. Yes a few more high quality stupid questions would speed things up but it's hard not to feel like you're being a pita when you keep coming back from banging your head on the brick wall that everyone else seems to have figured out except you. I have that tee shirt
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous
                        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                          Jim, we all fall into the trap of ASSUMING too much some times. Sometimes it's not that the material wasn't read. It's that the material was not absorbed properly or was at a level that was not easily understood. You do the best you can to educate people and I commend you for that. It's just that we sometimes are patients is stretched more on any given day. I know that mine has been from time to time. Hopefully turbojohn will stay around long enough to absorb the material needed to get his GS up and running and become a happy member of the GSR.
                          This is what I'm assuming; maybe it is too much.....

The ultimate goal is to get the bike is fixed properly, so that John will not be sitting on the side of the road somewhere. What was most frustrating is that despite repeated posts, that undesired outcome appeared just as likely as without the effort.

If someone does not understand something, they should ask. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean they will ever understand, but consider the opposite case where you ignore things not based on their importance but on how much you understand something on first contact.

Implicitly, I'm assuming someone is willing to participate in a "learning" process in order to fix their bike. I think that applies to carburetors, suspension or anything else not just electrical.
                          Last edited by posplayr; 11-30-2015, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Looks like Ive worn out my welcome. I tried to follow the steps. I couldnt figure them out. Its a byproduct of my inability to read technical material and make sence of it. It has always been an extreme struggle for me, and yes, I do feel shame over it.
                            Im not trying to **** anybody off, but I can tell I am, so I'll try to post as little as possible. I truly do appreciate the help. Its a great site.
                            Quite a few of us started much as you have Jonn. You're showing willing even if the electrical stuff is hard to comprehend - it's still black magic to me! Stay with it/us you'll do fine.
                            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Sorry, Jonn I just realized your name is Jonn not John

Comment

I could have spent more time trying to digest the info. It's certainly all there. My ratts nest of wiring and limited knowledge led to my frustration and dumb questions. I'll keep both to a minimum in the future. 8 pages of helping is fantastic. Thanks for all this. I'll stop with the along the way updates. My bike had or has multiple wiring issues. Its to a point now where it at least wont die on a ride. Ill look at the grounging, check the stator type and do the measurements, just not this week. Every time I start the bike I gas up the house and noise out the neighbors. I only get a couple of hours on sat and sun to work on it. Thanks again for all the help and knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X