Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is horn button wired to positive or negative

Hi everyone,

I am about to try to install an air horn on my old 79 gs850g.

(I purchased a chinese made "electric horn machine" off of ebay a month ago or so, it claims to be a "nautilus" model....is unbranded and apparently a knock off.)

To wire it up, there are two vague diagrams on the back, one for a horn wired to the "horn button" as a positive to the horn, and one as a horn wired as a negative.

I sort of recall a posting that the gs is wired as a negative but a search could not find it during a search.

can anyone confirm ?

Thanks

Sean

When ignition is "on" positive power is supplied to horn, pushing the horn button grounds out the horn to complete circuit and beep beep. Are you going to use a relay? Might want to test to determine current draw of this chinese unit.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The horn button supplies the ground. Orange/Green wire is the hot and the green wire is the switched ground.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        When ignition is "on" positive power is supplied to horn, pushing the horn button grounds out the horn to complete circuit and beep beep. Are you going to use a relay? Might want to test to determine current draw of this chinese unit.
        Yes. It comes with a relay and wires from relay to horn, so I'm going to connect (per instructions) to battery.

Sean

Comment

Does your new horn have one terminal or two?

If it has two (like the stock horn), you will be just fine.

If it has just one, you will need to install a relay.
          I ride many bikes.
          Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

Ya gotta use a relay in between....i tried puttin a 72 Chevy truck horn in my Kawi, and it kept blowin the main fuse.....once my buddy installed the relay, all was fine.....

Comment

The new horn has 2 connectors, and the instructions suggest connecting directly to the battery for power and using a 30 amp fuse in line, and connecting the relay to the original wires and a 3rd wire to power

sean

Comment

If your horn has two connectors, you could just put in in place of the stock horn, but you would probably get better sound if you use a relay.

One of your horn's connectors will be 'hot', the other will be 'ground'. Same with your stock horn wiring, except the 'ground' connector is only grounded when the button is pressed.

If you wish to use a relay, connec the relay's pin #30 to the battery (with a fuse, but probably doesn't have to be 30 amps), #85 and #86 to the stock horn connectors (does not really matter which one goes where) and #87 to your horn's 'hot' connector. Connect your horn's 'ground' connector to a chassis ground.
                I ride many bikes.
                Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

Yes install a relay.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                  X