alternative battery for GS450GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternative battery for GS450GA

I think I need a new battery for the GS450GA. It uses a YB12, which is rare and expensive.

Its there an alternative? Dimensions(in):6.3 x 3.54 x 5.16

I am in the process of searching for others, but taking some time. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

Found a replacement batter at www.techbatterysolutions.com. Anyone know if this is a good firm?

Thanks.

Comment

Not familiar with the place you have linked.
      I have bought my last 3 motorcycle batteries from Battery Mart and been very happy with the transactions.
      It looks to have a couple options for your bike.
      Batteries and chargers for everything from motorcycles to cell phones. Low prices, big inventory, expert advice. Find your battery here!
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Ive switched to gel batteries in recent years.....I order direct from the company....I think they were outta Delaware.....soon as i find a link will post.....
        I was replacing wet cells yearly....went to the gel, and its been good now for 3 years....

Comment

Thanks

Will bookmark as an option

Comment

Originally posted by WolfworksCustoms View Post
            Ive switched to gel batteries in recent years.....I order direct from the company....I think they were outta Delaware.....soon as i find a link will post.....
            I was replacing wet cells yearly....went to the gel, and its been good now for 3 years....
            Thanks.
            My also died in about one year.
            Look forward to the link

Comment

OK, I looked at an AGM alternative (EXT12 or YTX12-BS) , which is slightly smaller in size than the original GS450GA battery. The AGM battery is not listed for the GS450GA, with some web sites stating it is not compatible and others stating it is compatible. But I think it should fit and the terminals are in the correct location, but there is a question about power and output. The AGM has lower amperage (10 AH v 13 AH) but higher CCA (180 v 165). My understanding is that AGM tends to store less energy, thus the lower amperage. I am tempted to go with the AGM because of the low maintenance from being sealed.

Does anyone have any advice before I pull the trigger?

Specifications of the YTX12-BS Battery

Voltage: 12 Volt

Amperage: 10 AH

Chemistry: SLA, AGM

Terminal: Nut & Bolt

Battery Dimensions: 5.90 in x 3.34 in x 5.11 in
              CCA 180

Product Specifications for YB12B-B2 Dry Charge Battery: Acid Required

Specifications:

YB12B-B2
              12 Volt
              13 Ah
              Dry Charge
              6.31"
              3.56"
              5.13"
              165 CCA
              7.10Lbs

Weight: 8.15 Lbs

Comment

Denniskirk.com Good prices, good info, fast shipping. See one of my other posts about setting up the battery.
                Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                  Denniskirk.com Good prices, good info, fast shipping. See one of my other posts about setting up the battery.
                  Thanks. Will check out when back home.

Comment

I remember now....it was a Deka battery out of southeastern Pennsyltucky (550cca). I got it direct. If ya go the Kirk or Superstore, or wherever, they tack on a bunch. Was only like 2 days shipping too, free shipping.
                    Go to the Deka website, and find your closest source. Im goin on winter #4 with mine now. Only put it on the tender when it gets below 20 deg F.

Learn more about East Penn’s complete line of Power Sports batteries - delivering a performance and quality unmatched by competing designs.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2015, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfworksCustoms View Post
                      I remember now....it was a Deka battery out of southeastern Pennsyltucky (550cca). I got it direct. If ya go the Kirk or Superstore, or wherever, they tack on a bunch. Was only like 2 days shipping too, free shipping.
                      Go to the Deka website, and find your closest source. Im goin on winter #4 with mine now. Only put it on the tender when it gets below 20 deg F.

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com.../power-sports/
                      Thanks Will check out

Comment

Working...
                      X