Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS450L wiring diagram

hi all,

does anybody know where I can find a wiring diagram for my 81 450L?

specifically, looking for rectifier wiring.

found one at www.classiccycles.org but the 450 diagram that they have do not match my bike
    Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2015, 10:22 AM.

Comment

coming out of my stator I have BROWN, GREEN/YELLOW, GREEN/WHITE, BLACK/WHITE.

coming out of my rectifier I have BLACK/WHITE, RED, YELLOW, WHITE/BLUE, WHITE/RED. where do these wires go??

Comment

Here is a manual that should have a wiring diagram for your bike (it is on bikecliffs wonderful web site): https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2370b...PM7hx6Q2ynLu-A
        Last edited by OldVet66; 12-10-2015, 11:46 AM.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I'm sure two of your stator wires are the same wire actually because there are only three stator wires on a three phase AC generator. On my '78 there was five wires from the stator, two wires were doubled to accommodate the separate rectifier and regulator and a stator leg looping through the headlight switch so there were actually only three wires that could be traced back into the stator wiring bundle where the other wires were soldered to two of the leads. The combined R/R that you have has power, ground and three stator leads. Color coding of the stator leads do not have to match. You do want to depart from the factory manual and eliminate the loop through the light switch if you have one and wire the three stator leads directly from stator to R/R. Before you do anything, search the hundreds of posts on converting your charging system to a Series R/R, SH-775 being the most affordable at this time. There are not many Series R/R's on the market yet, but they are far superior to any Shunt R/R that came with your bike.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
            X