DB Electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
    I called another web site with the exact same price and advertisement as DB. They said it is listed as Shunt. I,m on my phone, will post up the URL when I get back to my computer. It has to be the same product in my mind but decide for yourself: http://www.totalpowerparts.com/p-499...2011-2014.aspx
    I look forward to the day when the Chinese factories start churning out copies of the real series regs - it will happen soon, and I can bet there's some people working on it. With bit of a finger in the air for luck, we might be getting some cheap series RRs on the market. Mind you, the real thing from Polaris is now so cheap, I don't know that I'd bother with a knock-off, no matter how good it is.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I have a friend whos an electrical engineer....he compiled a list of all interchangable MOSFETs with all the ratings....soon as I find it will post it....

Comment

Originally posted by WolfworksCustoms View Post
        I have a friend whos an electrical engineer....he compiled a list of all interchangable MOSFETs with all the ratings....soon as I find it will post it....
        Hopefully he has a column to indicate series vs shunt

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          Mind you, the real thing from Polaris is now so cheap, I don't know that I'd bother with a knock-off, no matter how good it is.
          I bet you're right, we'll likely start seeing them soon enough, but the real thing is cheap enough for me to not take chances - got my last one on eBay off a wrecked Ranger for $37 shipped! Had a chip out of one of the fins, but it works great - 14.5V across the board.
          ----------------------------------------------------------------
          2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I can't figure why they would bother to do this unless they really don't know the difference or there is a supply problem. I'm glad I got an honest reply from Total Power Parts. They could still make good sales with the real deal at a decent price. All three of the superseded stock numbers were SH-775's. I think I'll just stay in the Compu-Fire 55402 camp. The size advantage and reliability I have gotten is well worth the price to me.
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Hopefully he has a column to indicate series vs shunt
              Its cmplete, with all rating, tollerances, everything...even has footnotes for any needed connection mods.....this guy lives in the sticks in washington State, but he's a whis with this stuf.....he also has other lists of compatibles like forks and such....

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                I think I'll just stay in the Compu-Fire 55402 camp. The size advantage and reliability I have gotten is well worth the price to me.
                I don't get it either, I have both the 55402 and the SH-775 and the SS-775 was 1/5th the price (albeit used vs. new) and is smaller so it fit in the stock location under the battery box with very minor modifications, no need for a special weather pack connector and I was able to use substantially shorter leads because it was so close to the battery, stator leads and fuse box.

I convinced 2 buddies to also buy the CompuFire unit and although I like the idea that they seem like a small, agile family owned U.S. business, for the price and smaller form factor and equal performance, I think I'll stick with the SH-775.
                2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Time will tell on both. The Series units are relatively new to the scene. My 55402 fits on the stock electrics plate. As far as connectors, I wasn't a fan of a consolidated plug for the Stator connections so I went with 3 single waterproof connectors. Hopefully I will get the rest of the connectors changed over this winter when I plan to install Jim's SSPB. My system has been in good enough shape since the first harness maintenance when I got the bike but my goal is to get it where I won't have to bother with anything but switch maintenance in the future. The only problem is a reluctance to tear it down until I have something else in the stable I enjoy riding near as much. It's due for a frame up restoration some day. A neighbor just got an oven big enough to Powder coat frames.
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Agreed. And a neighbor that has an oven big enough to for a frame in? Now that's a neighbor I'd like to have near me!

Hard to take your daily rider down without a stablemate to ride for sure. I have too many projects going and the snow finally hit hard and deep enough here so I'm working in my shed on only one bike at a time while the rest are under covers. oh well it is winter next week after all, what else should I expect?

I would like an SSPB one day too, but I'd also like a Delkevic exhaust or a black box controller for my new heated grips too. So many options and not enough money!

Comment

DB had made a good name for itself in the diesel community selling hi torque starters, alternators, etc. That's where I found them 2 years ago or so... It seems that a few years ago something changed and they started putting money before reputation. You would have to verify that you were getting exactly what you are ordering or simply avoid this seller. It's a shame, they are based in the US.

Comment

If it was a real SH775, they would say it. Putting it another way, I wouldn't buy a unit from Ebay unless they explicitly say it's an SH775. If you buy it and it's not, you can return it as a misrepresented product. I believe this is why so many Ebay sellers are intentionally ambiguous.
                        Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Steve and I confirmed that this is NOT a series RR as we tested it on Charmayne's bike tonight. Do not waste your money on it.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                            Steve and I confirmed that this is NOT a series RR as we tested it on Charmayne's bike tonight. Do not waste your money on it.
                            Thanks for posting; I started to follow up a few days ago but could not remember the thread.

To be clear, in the correspondence I has with DB Electrical they never claimed they sold an SH-775 but rather an replacement for an OEM SH-775 and further they said it was NOT a Shindengen unit.

Last edited by posplayr; 10-18-2016, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Ohman, reading this makes me worry a bit if these SH775 I ordered - under a polaris parts number though - really are non-shunt
                              Ordered these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 from "Leaders RPM"

Anybody have a quick how-to to see if they're shunting? I do have a a few multimeters available (and a scope, and a benchtop DC power supply)
                              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

This is how you can tell if it's real:
                                http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                                1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                                X