DB Electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roeme View Post
    Ohman, reading this makes me worry a bit if these SH775 I ordered - under a polaris parts number though - really are non-shunt
    Ordered these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 from "Leaders RPM"

Anybody have a quick how-to to see if they're shunting? I do have a a few multimeters available (and a scope, and a benchtop DC power supply)
    You need a clamp on AC current meter. More DC load makes the stator current drop. Less load makes it go up. That is SHUNT. SERIES is opposite.

Comment

Thanks, posplayr. (Should've been obvious) Now I have an excuse to order one these. Have to read up on them first though, last time I looked at those there was talk of True RMS meters being quite pricey.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Thanks, posplayr. (Should've been obvious) Now I have an excuse to order one these. Have to read up on them first though, last time I looked at those there was talk of True RMS meters being quite pricey.

Clamp on meters are much cheaper; no need for a TRUE RMS meter but now a days with 32 bit ARM chips that is a cake walk (i.e. no problem).

This is an example. People have posted reviews on other from Radio Shack (I believe) here if you search.

Honestly just buy a used SH-775 (ebay) and skip all of the instrumentation. They are cheaper than teh meter.

Comment

Thanks for the link!

Ah, so the AC readings will be good enough for this application? I was worried because from what I remember most of cheapies give completely inaccurate readings wenn presented with a non 50/60Hz waveform. I'll be glad to be wrong.

Honestly just buy a used SH-775 (ebay) and skip all of the instrumentation. They are cheaper than teh meter.
          Not true for me – just had a look. Because of shipping and low import taxes on electronic stuff, a lot of clamp-ons are cheaper for me to buy here in a local shop (EU, Switzerland).

I think the marginal price difference back then also made me buy the RRs new, not used.

Sorry to have de-railed the thread a bit.
          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Thanks for the link!

Ah, so the AC readings will be good enough for this application? I was worried because from what I remember most of cheapies give completely inaccurate readings wenn presented with a non 50/60Hz waveform. I'll be glad to be wrong.

Not true for me – just had a look. Because of shipping and low import taxes on electronic stuff, a lot of clamp-ons are cheaper for me to buy here in a local shop (EU, Switzerland).

I think the marginal price difference back then also made me buy the RRs new, not used.

Sorry to have de-railed the thread a bit.
            Most of the meters are designed for 50/60Hz but still have sensitivity out at 500+ Hz. IIRC correctly 5k RPM would be 500 Hz (for 18 pole or whatever is on my GS1100E).

Comment

Working...
            X