electrical problems -Solution - MAYBE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical problems -Solution - MAYBE

This past riding season I was only able to put a little over 2,000 kms on my 1980 GS-1000G due to continual electrical problems. I was losing the turn signals, head light, tail light etc. on a frequent basis. I changed out a lot of old brittle wires and things were ok for a short time, then ZAP, same problem. Over the course of the summer I changed out the fuse block, OK for a short time and a few rides, then same problem, same fuses blown. I had a maintenance free battery in it for a time and on a hunch I checked the voltage to the battery while the engine was running. WOW, 16.7 volts at 2500 RPM. NOT good. Pulled the maintenance free battery, which didn't seem to hold a proper charge, reverted to an old lead-Acid battery and checked again, still WAY too high voltage. I then dug up a regulator rectifier from my spares box. It was slightly different in size but checking the serial number I determined it was from a GS-1100E. Local Suzuki shop said it "Should" work as it's values were very similar to the original unit. Figuring I had nothing left to lose without sourcing an entire new or replica wiring harness, I installed it and VOILA, normal charging rate. I've ridden the bike a few hundred kms more and 'so far' all seems well. I've had to put it away for the winter, but will try some rides in the spring to see if all is 'Still Well'. The bike currently has a bit over 193,000 kms, and the 'refreshed' engine is up around 83,000 kms and runs extremely well (when not having electrical gremlins)
    For a 35 yr. old machine, I guess a few electrical issues are really nothing to complain about. It always got me home, with or without headlights etc.
    CHEERS

Check the charging health thread for better charging health. Also, look into getting an sh775 series r/r. They are easy to retrofit and will help you to not cook a stator

Comment

It is an amazing story and we are waiting with baited breath to see how it turns out. See Tom's comment I think it may be similar to others.

Comment

Fighting electrical gremlins probably didn't leave you much reading time this summer...... but winter has arrived (somewhere ,not here yet). Read this....

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

then this....

done right, the charging system can be made very reliable
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X