Gear position sensor oil leak/removal/delete question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear position sensor oil leak/removal/delete question

I'm rewiring my GS750. I'm removing the gear position indicator to minimize wiring. That and the fact that the gear position sensor (part 37720-45100 - body, switch) is cracked in half. As a result, I've got oil leaking from the area this is supposed to cover. I'd like to avoid buying a new part simply to plug the 'hole' only to immediately chop off the wiring harness! 2 question:

Anyone know of a way to 'plug' and seal the hole left from removal of the part?
    Alternatively, does anyone have an old one in their parts bin they'd like to part ways with? It doesn't have to work - just needs to be 'whole'.

I've attached the schematic for clarity. Thanks.

gearsensor.JPG

I'd say the easiest way to plug it is with another part from a breaker and a seal. Sounds like yours has been out before. Often the JIS screws will get chewed up and are replaced with something a bit too long maybe. Check the lengths on the parts fiche.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The only gear indicator switch I've dealt with was on a GS450 and it could have been replaced with a piece of 1/4" aluminium and the existing O-ring. It's been a while and I could be wrong.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Huh... never thought of that. It actually does have the aluminum backing plate that simply slips over the top and is detachable. It didn't dawn on me that this might be able to seal. I just need to find an o-ring and I'll give it a shot! Thanks Charlie.

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        The only gear indicator switch I've dealt with was on a GS450 and it could have been replaced with a piece of 1/4" aluminium and the existing O-ring. It's been a while and I could be wrong.

cg

Comment

Working...
        X