Ignitor boxes for a twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignitor boxes for a twin

Is there a reason why you couldn't use a 4 cyl ignitor on a 450 twin? Two pickups and two coils either way, just fewer plugs and ht leads.

Is there a better choice between Nippon Denso and Kokusan Denki? Are all the different part numbers mostly a matter of connectors and mounts or is there an actual internal difference to be aware of?

The PO put a new [used] ignitor box in my bike just before I got it, but I'd like to have a spare around.
    '82 GS450T

Knowing Suzuki's penchant for making subtle variations, i'd get a spare ignitor with same part number as you got now- put on bike and test it to know it's good and relax!
    go ebaying and/or post in parts wanted forum
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
      Is there a reason why you couldn't use a 4 cyl ignitor on a 450 twin? Two pickups and two coils either way, just fewer plugs and ht leads.
      I have used a GS550/4 ignitor when diagnosing a problem on a GS250 twin so it certainly can be done. Was a long time ago so unsure now what I was able to verify before actually attempting it but I do remember the conclusion I came to was the internals of many (but not all) ignitors appear to function the same. The difference between what I had was simply the connection to the harness that resulted in a different part number. I didn't want to "modify" either ignitor or harness so made a conversion cable. Bit of a nightmare but it did work like you'd never know the difference.
      It's smoke that make electronic components work.
      Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
      '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
      '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
      '82 GS1000SZ
      '82 GS1100GL
      '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

I'd think that the four cylinder coils would draw more load rather than less on the ignitor box; I'd be more hesitant to go the other way and use a twin module on a four.

I've always been careful to give the spark a reasonable path to ground rather than leave the ht leads swinging in the wind. On some Suzuki RM bikes you could fry a module pretty fast that way, but the later ones were more robust. It's easier on the coils, too.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

Working...
        X