No announcement yet.

Really...now the stator??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also , here is a picture of general wiring associated with r/r.... IMG_0034.jpg So the brown wire from r/r connector goes up to in line fuse and battery, the other brown wire of the split goes to the "red wire".

Black wire goes to a engine ground and a negative battery lug that is on frame where air cleaner support used to bolt to. I have a heavy gauge cable from battery to this lug...maybe an 8' wire in length.

My final idea is to run a car battery in sidecar. Then, run the cable over to bike and use the negative lug, and make some sort of connection for positive in the area where the stock battery location would be...

I am quite sure that it wasn't charging at all yesterday, I suppose I could hook everything back up and recheck....hey, I rechecked my stator and look what happened! ( big duh on me)

Comment

It happens to everybody even engineers, when all else fails, go back to basics and recheck your measurements. Usually it is operator error v.s. failure of physics that is the problem.
      Last edited by posplayr; 01-19-2016, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I think the bike is just bad and you could give it to me...I could use a spare. {I could shaddup too!}
        Glad another 850G is alive and well...wanna see pics of the hack when done!

Comment

IMG_0019.jpg It's getting there....let me dial in the charging system and then hack goes on. Hopefully by the end of the month!

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            A picture of that red wire would help a lot. If it's at the back of the left side of the airbox you could have the r/r ground wire connected to the 'other' entry point for the r/r positive.
            so by reading this and looking at what I have done...I am thinking I am okay on install right now???

Comment

Originally posted by 520eek View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]43779[/ATTACH] It's getting there....let me dial in the charging system and then hack goes on. Hopefully by the end of the month!
              Sprung solo seat...that's different...aids with room for the back rack! Grey done color or is that primer that's wet sanded smooth? Aftermarket rear full fender?{cruiser look?}

Comment

not sprung but will be....battleship gray, glossy look ( along with sidecar) yup a rear full metal fender blank, cut to fit....just to be different

Comment

Originally posted by 520eek View Post
                  so by reading this and looking at what I have done...I am thinking I am okay on install right now???
                  I don't want to be prescriptive here because I can't see the rest of your wiring but assuming it's pretty much in stock condition.
                  You appear to have the output + of the r/r split. One fused line to the battery and another to the red wire that leads to the tee in the harness above the airbox. If you check the wiring diagram the current at the tee would flow forward to the ignition switch to run the bike and back to the battery through the fusebox anyway, so the split fused line to the battery is redundant. Generally people go either inject to the tee or fused line to the battery but not both..
                  Running the ground line from the r/r to the engine case will collect the returning ignition current but the returning currents for lights and so forth, to get back to the r/r, have to come through the frame and various bolted connections which generally robs some voltage. Many have gone to the idea of a single point ground , a post somewhere that collects all harness returns, starter relay ground etc and connects directly to the r/r ground with a short wire. The r/r is what runs the bike, not the battery.

So, are you good to go? I honestly don't know. Maybe. However, I would read up on Jim's ( Posplayr) stuff about grounding strategy and charging system wiring first. Not only will you get a better charging bike but you could lose a lot of surplus wires and connections.
                  Last edited by Brendan W; 01-20-2016, 06:57 AM.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Update! Once I realized my meter had a battery that was going south that resolved a majority of my issues! Bike battery was not healthy so I put a good one in and remade some ground connections. Since battery is going to reside away from bike I even made some 6' cables, hooked up battery and checked charging system again. Now I have 14.25 volts at the battery!

Turn signals are another issue all together, can I just disconnect the auto box dealio and not have to worry about anything till later?

Comment

Working...
                    X