83 1100ESD Tachometer erratic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100ESD Tachometer erratic

So remember, no cable for this one. It's electronic. It's stable through about 4 or 5k rpms but keep revving and it blows right through the red line and bounces off the stop. Just wondering if it could be wiring or if it will need to be rebuilt.

Also, in the meantime, is there data somewhere showing the speed at redline in each gear. That would help me know where I am on the tach when accelerating hard.
    sigpic
    1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
    1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
    1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
    On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
    All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

there are refurb , rebuild, replacement threads in the past.

Comment

1982-suzuki-gs1100ez-road-test-09.jpg

See near top left side of the page. This is assuming that the 83 ES and the 82 E shared transmission gear ratios... which I don't know for certain.
      2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
      2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
      2015 BMW RnineT

Dave

Comment

many have tried, none that I know of have succeeded, at least not for long. I ended up switching to gsxr gauges. As posplayer suggested, a search will turn up a few threads. Good luck, let me know if you find a definitive fix...
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Soooo...I found out that my stator is "toast" in another thread and ordered one and got the wrong one, another thread, so I borrowed the stator from my parts bike and it works so I went for a ride today and the tachometer stabilized. It is still not perfect but will give a basically steady reading all the way to redline which is a huge improvement as before it was just wild over 5k. I think it is reading about ten percent higher than it should but maybe once I get the right stator and a compu-fire R/R it will work correctly.
          sigpic
          1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
          1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
          1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
          On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
          All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Working...
          X