Battery delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery delete

Cult someone please hook me up with a simple wiring diagram to delete my battery. I am sure you guys have discussed this somewhere here but can't find it. Thanks.

OK, it's time (once again) to go into "20 Questions" mode.

WHAT VEHICLE ARE WE DISCUSSING HERE?

Actually, I am presuming it is a vehicle, as most people don't have personal batteries.

Comment

Kickstart GS with contact points ignition, it's easy. Anything newer, you might need to know a little bit about what you're doing electrically.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sorry my bad. 1979 gs 750

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty easy. Big capacitor or a tiny battery, will provide power to run the ignition. (mine starts just fine with a little 9V transistor radio battery.)

The harder part is to have enough of a battery to stabilize the charging system (The 9V above won't even come close)

I think a series regulator would make this a lot easier, allow you to use a very small 12V battery or capacitor. I don't know for sure, not an electrical engineer, but there are several members of this forum who are. A capacitor can do the same thing, but I don't know the correct size or capacitance to use. It's been done on a lot of bikes, google will probably find a few examples of what they did on something similar to your 750. If it were me I'd hook up a big capacitor and monitor the voltage as you go through the various RPMs and see what it does. Try a few different sizes, maybe you will find a range of them that work OK. Or maybe you will blow up a lot of voltage regulators....

My Suzuki DR 350 has a ni-cad the size of a D cell in it, been working fine for years with no real motorcycle battery. People have been using capacitors to do this for decades so information will be out there for you to find.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X