Battery Melting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Melting

I ran into a super bizarre issue recently! All weekend long I rode my bike (1982 GS850G) with no problems. It was a beautiful spring like weekend. I also rode to work and back Monday. On Tuesday I went to ride again but the bike wouldn't start. It was turning over but wouldn't catch. I tried a few times and smoke started coming up from under my seat. At this point I was going to be late for work so I just took the seat off to make sure nothing was on fire, then went to work with my car.

I got home from work that afternoon and was planning on trying to figure out what happened. First thing I did was just randomly try to start it and it started and ran perfectly with no hesitation!

I let it run for a few minutes then turn it off and took the seat off. The cable going to the positive terminal of the battery appears to be a little burnt up. Weirdest of all is the metal terminal on the battery is physically deformed like it melted from getting too hot. Even a little of the plastic case around the terminal looks like it got too hot and melted a little.

I took a toothbrush and scrubbed the terminals and cables and connectors. Wrapped them all in electrical tape and put the seat back on.

Bike started and ran like a champ again.

I'm no mechanic so has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Does it even make sense?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

That's fairly typical of either a loose connection or a corroded cable core in or near the lug or a combination of both.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      That's fairly typical of either a loose connection or a corroded cable core in or near the lug or a combination of both.

That is what I was thinking too after doing a little research online. I guess I probably have to buy another battery huh?

As far as the wiring... I have access to all kinds of electrical gear at work, so I can replace it myself. Do you think I should just chop off the end, wago/wirenut it to a new wire, and try that? Or I could redo the wiring completely but I don't have a garage...

Comment

You only need a new battery if the terminal on yours is too far gone to make a good connection now.

Crimping a new connector on the cable (both of 'em, actually) would be a good idea. No need to replace the whole wire if the insulation is still in decent shape.

Do not use wire nuts on a vehicle.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
          You only need a new battery if the terminal on yours is too far gone to make a good connection now.

Crimping a new connector on the cable (both of 'em, actually) would be a good idea. No need to replace the whole wire if the insulation is still in decent shape.

Do not use wire nuts on a vehicle.

Thank you. What kind of connectors are recommended?

Comment

Not being smart but...good quality automotive ones. The trick will be getting a good crimp for which a tool will be required. Might be better all round to replace the cable. Motorcycle shops have them made up ready to fit.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
              Not being smart but...good quality automotive ones. The trick will be getting a good crimp for which a tool will be required. Might be better all round to replace the cable. Motorcycle shops have them made up ready to fit.
              haha no problem. Sad thing is I work in electrical engineering R&D. But its all tiny low power stuff

Comment

As per your observation, this link should help most of the uninitiated

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ons&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Thanks, I will work on the connections this weekend.

Comment

I would check the starter motor - a bad starter is like taking the big positive wire and clamping it directly to the frame that is how the lead posts get melted. the intermittent problem is like the armature is properly centered and works -- and next time gets cocked and shorting electricity directly to ground - worn bushings or broken brush
                    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I am hesitant to buy a new battery without knowing it wont happen again.

I checked all my connections and they seem good. Cleaned them up anyway. No resistance to ground and no short between the terminals. I guess I could replace the battery cables but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Comment

Working...
                      X