Dynatek fitment in a 1983 GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynatek fitment in a 1983 GS550L

I have been looking into the Dynatek system as an alternative in my 83 GS550L. The application guides I have seen indicate that the DS3-2 is the compatible system.
    However, I have heard via and old thread on this forum that this fitment indication is in error and that the backing plate is too large in diameter and mounting holes are all wrong for this application.

I also understand that I would need to acquire a compatible mechanical advance as the 83 550L ignition is all electronic and the advance is built into the ignition module.
    A secondary concern would be, if I have to go to a mechanical advance, it seems that this might extend the length of the rotating pickup assembly such that the original cover would no longer fit as the
    current electronic pickup is much more compact then any of the mechanical advance units I have seen.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of what, if any, Dynatek system is compatible and how such a system could be made to fit under the original ignition cover?
    These 550's seem to be odd beasts that few have experience with, if anyone can make suggestions I would be grateful.

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2016, 09:54 PM.

Quick update for any that might be interested now or in the future though I'm guessing this is a pretty niche application.

I acquired a mechanical advance unit from a 1982 550L, and found that it was a perfect fit for my 1983 550L.
    As anticipated, the mechanical advance is taller then the original magnetic pickup by about 0.5". As a result, the ignition cover is not deep enough and cannot be re-installed. I have access to a laser cutter and can have a 0.5" aluminum spacer cut which matches the profile of the ignition cover which should solve this problem. The ignition cover will sit 0.5" further out but I don't anticipate this being a problem. In the absence of being able to make a custom spacer this could be a real problem for someone.

I was also able to get hold of a Dynatek DS3-2 and confirmed that the pickup/mounting plate is completely wrong. It is far too large in diameter to be installed in place of the original and of course the slotted mounting/timing adjust holes are all wrong.
    I think that access to a laser cutter might save the day here too. I will be looking into having a new plate cut to the correct diameter with mounting slots in the appropriate locations using the original Suzuki plate as a template. I can then drill and tap holes to transfer the Dynatek magnetic pickups to the new plate.

At the end of the day, I think I can make this work but were it not for access to some custom metal cutting I think this project would have been far more difficult.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2016, 01:26 PM.

Comment

On the 550's with the mechanical advancer, there were two versions of dynatech offered depending on whether you had a ND or KD ignition setup. I don't know whether it was a mounting plate difference or rotor issue.
      Thanks for update/ info- there likely will be others going same way.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The Dyna 2000 is all electronic and allows you to select different advance curves. I have no clue whether or not it will fit on the 550 though. I do know it's quite expensive too.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
        X