GSX400 not turning over, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX400 not turning over, please help!

about 4 months ago the bike would turn over great, last night I went to go work on it and it cant seem to get a solid crank. Ive got the headlight/front and rear signals and horn disconnected at the moment, ill be hopefully putting them on tonight though, not sure if that makes a difference.
    Battery has 13V, clutch switch engaged, starter has constant power, small wire is sending a signal when trying to start, receiving power at the starter motor itself, but its cranking SOOO slow then stops. Not sure what I might have touched since last time. My guess is that somehow the starter isn't grounded as well anymore, does it just ground through the 4 bolts holding the starter down?

also the screws on one of my coils become VERY hot while the other side does not. not sure what the deal is with that, they used to both put out a good spark when I had the bike cranking itself over.

thanks for the help!

How old is the battery? Having voltage does not necessarily mean you have enough amps to turn over the starter.

Most auto parts stores can do a battery load test to determine if your battery needs to be replaced.

Comment

battery is just over a year old but it might be my problem, my friend is telling me that since my battery charger doesn't have a jump start feature, and when I went to work on my bike yesterday my battery was dead, that hooking it up to the changer wouldn't help turn it over and I should have trickle charged it over night so that it would have been good to go tonight.

Comment

Try a new battery and see if that works better for you.

Comment

Not thread related but have the 82 GS400EX. Which make of battery are you using? Need to pick one up myself.

TIA.

Comment

also the screws on one of my coils become VERY hot while the other side does not.
            it sounds like that coil is grounding and that will drain your battery. I'm suprised the main fuse doesn't blow though.

Comment

...battery was completely dead, cranks over great now and started right up, now on to the next problem, huge gas leak out the carb overflows

Comment

Working...
              X