Self Cancel turn sigs not working 81 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Cancel turn sigs not working 81 GS850G

I've about got my 81 GS850F road worthy. Now just nit picking. On a test ride I noticed that the self cancelling feature was not working. The turn sigs work fine. The FSM is not much help in diagnostics so I wonder if someone can point me in a starting direction. I'm not even sure where the self cancel unit is located?

You can search your manual. Most of the electrical related stuff is under ELECTRICAL.

Comment

Most likely you need a new box. They were used on a bunch of different GS bikes so you shouldn't have much trouble finding one. The box is located on the main frame backbone on my 1000, but I'm not sure about the 850. Did you look in the factory service manual?
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

On the 850, the turn signal control unit is under the right side cover. Rectangular box about 1" x 2" x 2.5".

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll check it out tomorrow. I am in the process of putting on new Shinko tires and will spend some time cleaning and trying to shine up the wheels. When I get tired of that I'll pull the right side cover and take a look. Yes I have the FSM and I'll re-read it but as I remember I didn't get much out of trouble shooting from it last time I looked. The push down to cancel doesn't work either so I either have a bad box or wire connectors need attention. It's a minor thing but I thought while I'm thinking of it to post a question here.

Comment

Ride it and manually cancel. Even though my bikes all have working units I still instinctively manually shut them off..its just what I do habitually without really thinking about it.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The little box unit is pretty pricey. I think about $80 or more new. Mine was not working either and I installed a Tridon one til I could find one at a MC junkyard. You have to manually cancel with the Tridon one. Not all the tridon ones work either, can't remember which one it was, but will post again when I look at it. Also the switch is a bit of a conundrum to take apart and clean the contacts on. To take it apart I would recommend wrapping a ziplock bag around it, poking a hole with a screwdriver through the baggie for dis- assembly. There are some tiny springs in there with a ball bearing or two that you do not want to lose. You will never find them again! There is a thread on here somewhere with pics on how it all works. Pay close attention as to how it all comes apart as it has to go back together the same way. Clean the contacts and re assemble with dielectric grease and they will be good for another 30 years.

Comment

These boxes act like a relay cancelling another relay, chances are the contacts or the pins are so grubby the circuit is getting a false signal. Or it's just given up the ghost and gone to that big spark graveyard in the sky, honestly I do without mine and ended up replacing it with an auto type and haven't had any problems since.

Comment

I read in the manual that my 1100G had self cancelling, and some other olde bikes too.
                  They never worked well for me, so I cancel the signal my-self.
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine)
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

Comment

Only a couple of bikes, that I own, have self canceling and on the others I cancel manually. But my OCD kicks in every once in a while. If the bike has self cancel then I want it to work.....As I said it's not a big deal.

Comment

I LOVE the self cancel feature. It works great and saves me all the time.

The early bike self cancel boxes were junk and failed all the time. Suzuki updated the system for 1980 and greatly improved it.

Taking apart the hand control and cleaning and greasing all the contacts should be considered mandatory. It's a fiddly switch but very serviceable. One key thing: the button needs to be rotated sideways or maybe even 180 degrees before you can take the switch apart. There are a number of very small parts that must be considered so you may want to have your camera handy to take some shots as you very slowly and carefully take the hand control unit apart.

Oh, and the turn signals will work perfectly in manual mode without the box or if the box fails. That was one of the improvements over the early bikes. When the early box failed you don't have any turn signals any more.

Last edited by Nessism; 03-20-2016, 11:27 AM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have the control unit from a 1980 gs850 that I'm parting out. Pm me if interested.

Comment

thanks for the offer. I started to trouble shoot and found that the pulses from the speedometer are in fact working fine. I was just about to pull the right side cover and start checking stuff when my son pulled up with a 2005 PT Cruiser that needed a lower control arm, sway bar bushings and a motor mount. After all of that needless to say I have finished working in the garage for the day. I will probably pick it up in the morning. Have to hunt up some front wheel bearings for the GS850. Got the tire off and was cleaning the wheel when I noticed the bearing are rough. We have a local bearing distributor in town so I'll check with them.

Comment

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
                            The push down to cancel doesn't work either so I either have a bad box or wire connectors need attention.
                            "Push down" does not cancel the signals, it enables your low beam headlight.

The turn signal switch has FIVE positions, let's number them from left to right and describe what each position does:
                            1: Starts the left turn signal and is spring-loaded to return to position #2
                            2: Keeps the left signal on until the turn signal control unit (TSCU) turns it off
                            3: Manually cancels the signal from either side
                            4: Keeps the right signal on until the turn signal control unit (TSCU) turns it off
                            5: Starts the right turn signal and is spring-loaded to return to position #4

When things are all working as they should, you will find that after using a right signal, if you have to use it again, you only press the button from position 4 to position 5, where it starts the signal and springs back to #4. However, if you need to activate a left signal, you have to push the button left through THREE positions, all the way to #1, where it activates the left signal and springs back to position #2.

UP and DOWN on that same button are your HIGH and LOW beam selectors.

Comment

Thank you mutt for that explanation. Then yes my self cancel works fine. I wondered why the switch didn't return all the way back to the middle when you press and release. The self cancel on my Honda's do come all the way back and you push the switch in to self cancel. I know.... RTFM < guilty...

Comment

Working...
                              X