Cluster replacewith Cafe Speedo ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster replacewith Cafe Speedo ??

I have bought one those headlights with integrated turn signals and a $10ebay universal speedo with indicators and such. Now looking for the best way to plug and play this without having to trial and error the bird nest of wires and burning something out and having extra wires hanging?

Can you disconnect the whole instrument cluster and have a running bike?

Also took it to a shop but too busy for project.

Suggestions?

It will run with no instruments. Learn to read a wiring diagram. Don't take it to a shop.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There's nothing "plug and play" for your bike with regards to aftermarket speedos and headlights. You need to wire them in / change connectors.

Did the shop turn you away or are you saying you're too busy to do this?
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Legendary Motorcycles makes a sweet GPS Speedo/Tach that would do away with my mechanical cabling for both and fit both units in one 4" bezel. I could just leave all the stock gauge wiring capped up top. Problem is, I need to have $369 burning a hole in my pocket for that. Not knocking your choice since I'm kinda cheap, myself, but "universal" means different things depending on what you spend. Cafe projects, especially, can go south quick sometimes with cheap parts rigged to work. Don't ask me how I learned this.

Comment

Speedhut do GPS speedo units as well. You can customize the faces, etc and they look pretty neat, but:

1/ They are not waterproof

2/ You still have to wire in power, indicator / hi beam lights, etc

and

3/ Refer to 1

The Ultimate Aftermarket Automotive Gauges For Any Vehicle. Shop our huge selection of high-performance and customizable gauges - backed by a Lifetime Warranty!
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
            Speedhut do GPS speedo units as well. You can customize the faces, etc and they look pretty neat, but:

1/ They are not waterproof

2/ You still have to wire in power, indicator / hi beam lights, etc

and

3/ Refer to 1

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR4.5-...and-high-beam)
            Hmm, that sure does look similar. I'm wondering if the Legendary Cycles one is same manufacturer with re-brand. Thanks for posting that.

Comment

Yes they were in a busy season now or not enough mechanics. They would likely contract it out at this and another shop. Dont mind giving it a shot got a wiring diagram so just trying to match the wires and have some splice connectors. Looks a little less confusing. Tried using the same plastic connectors but the headlight pins are slightly smaller and plug slips right off. Noticed this when saving/ connecting the neutral gear indicator wire, likely pull the rest of the gear indicators. There are a few straggler wires not sure fuel gauge? tach light?

Also thought I saw somewhere diodes need to be wired in??

Comment

Yup Classiccycles.org http://www.classiccycles.org/1852/597964.html
                has them.

Comment

Diodes for led conversion??

Comment

All I can add is what I did. Remove the original cluster and move it down to the side of the bike on a chair or whatever.....reconnect all the original wires so everything still works....then using the (usually very vague and confusing) Chinese provided wiring chart, start matching the original wires to the wires listed in the aftermarket gauge. I just work one wire or set of wires at a time and verify they work and mark everything with tape and descriptions....then, after it all checks out you can unhook the original and find new routing for the existing wires to their new home in the new unit.
                    It sounds easy but if you want to do a clean job it takes some time.
                    Walk away if you get annoyed, which you will.

Comment

Working...
                    X