Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dyna S install AFTER the coil relay mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S install AFTER the coil relay mod.

Thanks for indulging me here, I realize that there is a well known post on doing a coil mod on a bike that already has Dyna S ignition installed. However, I'm going at it from the other direction.

I did the coil relay mod a few years ago, and perhaps it helped.. perhaps not. Didn't do any harm anyways. That being said I rode for a few years trouble free, and recently I have had serious enough ignition problems (that I couldn't totally diagnose) that I am going with a Dyna S upgrade, just to simplify it and eliminate the troublesome igniter box. Now that I have a automotive relay in place as per the coil mod, does this suggest I cannot run the leads from the Dyna S directly to the coils as the instructions say. Have i added to the complications by having a coil relay mod done first? Do I need to undo the coil relay mod altogether and start from a stock set-up"? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing is permanent so the order of installation should not bear too much on your final configuration.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with having a dyna ignition and the coil relay mod. Both my bikes have the same set up. It's all layed out on Cliffs site or you can search on here.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        There's nothing wrong with having a dyna ignition and the coil relay mod. Both my bikes have the same set up. It's all layed out on Cliffs site or you can search on here.
        True, but they talk about using the old 4 pin connection to the igniter, and I thought the idea was to eliminate the ignter?

Comment

I have not done anything with a Dyna S, but I would suspect that the coils still need to get 12 volt (nominal) power. They won't care whether that power comes through the stock wiring or a new(-ish) relay. The Dyna system is installed after the coils, so it really shouldn't matter if you have the relay mod or not.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Nothing is permanent so the order of installation should not bear too much on your final configuration.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...lay+mod+dyna+S

Pos, you'll have to pardon me for being thick. Allow me some questions. I have recieved my Dynatek ignition in the post today and am trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together. As stated, I already have done the coil relay mod. So I have to determine how to wire the 4 leads on the new part into my relay. Dyna has a black, whit, two reds spliced together and a red that's meant to be sliced to the orange/white that goes to the coils.

1. The instructions with the Dyna show that the orange/white are common for a bit then split off to run one each too each coil. According to the directions I am to splice the supplied red wire to the orange/white (with included splice connector). However now that I've done the coil mod there isn't a common orange/white... but rather two dedicated wired coming out of the relay to the coils(87 and 87 on the relay) so It seems clear this splice isn't the right answer anymore.

2. Am I to understand that the point is to use the old 4 pin connector that was "downstream" of the now discarded igniter box? If thats the case, I cannot discern how to do this from the drawing. Can you dummy it up for me?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Or let me pose an even simpler question: Does the wire coming back from the kill switch into 86 of the relay constitute 'switched 12v power' ... to which I can splice the supply red from the Dyna?

Comment

Isn't 86 the switched power? and 87 is the red lead coming from the Dyna and it's spliced out to both coils? here's 2 links from Cliffs site

Last edited by azr; 03-31-2016, 12:58 AM.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Planetsmasher View Post
                  Or let me pose an even simpler question: Does the wire coming back from the kill switch into 86 of the relay constitute 'switched 12v power' ... to which I can splice the supply red from the Dyna?
                  You could do that, but you should power the entire ignition circuit from the relay.

There are about 10 different ways to do a coil relay mod and I have no idea which you picked. The way I show requires no changes at teh coils from stock.

Comment

You just want to make sure the relay is controlled by the kill switch. If you do that and follow the Dyna instructions from an older bike like mine, everything will be powered properly.
                    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                      Isn't 86 the switched power? and 87 is the red lead coming from the Dyna and it's spliced out to both coils? here's 2 links from Cliffs site

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...relay_mod.html

Yes Azr, that's how I have it... the lead to 86 on the relay is from my kill switch on the right grip. I have a 5 pin bosch relay like this:

bosch relay.jpg

I have it done as: a lead from battery with inline fuse to 30. Kill switch to 86. Grounded wire from chassis to 85. 1 from each of the 87's to each orange/white going to coils.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetsmasher
                        Originally posted by posplayr
                        Originally posted by Planetsmasher
                        I appreciate your help with my ignition.. but I'm not too swift with even the simplest schematic. Can you help me out?
                        what circuit are you talking about; you need to try a little harder.
                        I'm referring to the schematic produced by you, made available 4/28/2009. You show a couple of junction spots for groups of wires. i.e. 'old 4-pin ignition plug', and 'OEM igniter plug'.

Lets say that the two wire groups that come out of a black igniter box are referred to in this manner: the upstream side= the 2 pin connector that connects the signal generator on the right side engine casing. the downstream side= the 4 pin connector that leads back up into the harness and must go to the coils.

So now I have taken the old igniter out altogether. So when you refer to the "OEM igniter plug", you mean the connector left over in the harness on the downstream end, where the igniter would have plugged into, correct? And when you refer to an "old 4-pin ignition plug" that attaches the Dyna, are you suggesting salvaging one end of the old igniter box before it goes in the bin or what?

Thanks Sir. A million thanks.
                        Yes...........................

Comment

Dyna.coilmod.jpg

Thanks Pos. And to anyone who cares to wade into it... please see the diagram^ Is that the proper place to splice in the red power for the Dyna or should it be one of the Orange/white between the relay and the coils?

Comment

Originally posted by Planetsmasher View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]44945[/ATTACH]

Thanks Pos. And to anyone who cares to wade into it... please see the diagram^ Is that the proper place to splice in the red power for the Dyna or should it be one of the Orange/white between the relay and the coils?

Just so you know Dyna S's are known to be susceptible to low voltage which to a DynaS is 11 volts (or perhaps higher) so wiring the red where you did is certainly NOT the "proper way" to do this mod. It might work, it might be easier to understand but I would hardly recommend it anyone else but you as you seem intent on doing it that way despite the schematic links I provided and my PM description of same.

As I generally always recommend, one should power the entire IGN circuit off of the relay not just the coils. A side benefit is that it is even easier than doing just the coils, you just have to know how to perform the surgery but then that has been described in the link provided.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...lay+mod+dyna+S
                            30 - Fused Battery
                            86 - Kill Switch (O/W)
                            85 - Harness ground B/W
                            87 - Ignition Circuit (Coils, Dyna S)
                            Last edited by posplayr; 03-31-2016, 07:53 PM.

Comment

So you're saying, "don't get power to the dyna from splicing into ANY other wire.. get it from the 87 of the relay".
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2016, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X