Regulator Rectifier Problems? 1979 GS425

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator Rectifier Problems? 1979 GS425

I just got my bike running last night, all lights worked when key was turned, except, when I started the engine and revved it up a little, all the lights that were on before flickered and died, I examined them and they are burnt out. The bike still starts and runs fine. Today I hooked up a multi-meter to the battery positive and negative wires, and found out when revved the engine tests at 17 volts. My best guess is the regulator rectifier is bad, but can anyone confirm if it is that, or if it's something like the stator instead?

that is only one thing dead regulator in the R/R. It was probably over heating and dies. Get an SH-775.

Comment

So if the regulator is bad, do you know what it should be putting out when I get the new one? Because 17 is obviously bad, but where is the acceptable range?

Comment

Originally posted by Buddybud425 View Post
        So if the regulator is bad, do you know what it should be putting out when I get the new one? Because 17 is obviously bad, but where is the acceptable range?
        see the Link in my signature called "Quick Test"

Comment

After you do the Quick Test, note the other links in posplayr's signature. Do you and your stator a favor and spring for a series r/r like a SH-775 - the older shunt r/r's are outdated.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, is there somewhere to get a more wallet friendly price on an sh775? I found some that are about $100-150, is that a normal price for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Buddybud425 View Post
              Thanks for the help guys, is there somewhere to get a more wallet friendly price on an sh775? I found some that are about $100-150, is that a normal price for them?
              This is two years out of date, but still holds fairly good, as far as I know
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Even amazon has them. Beware imitators, you want to see 4012941 stamped on unit.. These are genuine made by Shindengen

Try a local polaris dealer- he might be hungry for sale
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X