Yet another LED turn signal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another LED turn signal thread

I'm rebuilding my '80 GS450L from the ground up and I'm nearly done. I've got all the wiring hooked up and I have a weird problem with my LED turn signals. I have a new flasher installed. The right signals work just fine, but when I flip the switch for the left signals, the right ones come on again. I used a voltmeter and it looked like regardless of which position the switch was in (left or right, not in the middle), both the green and black wires were activated, and switching between 10-12 volts. My guess is I have the "all signals flashing" problem, but my left signal just isn't hooked up right? Also, the turn signal indicator on the instrument cluster isn't lighting up at all.

EDIT

I was correct about faulty wiring on the front left signal. I connected the real signals and both flash regardless of orientation of switch.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2016, 08:43 PM.

I should also note that before I pulled the bike apart, the left signals did not work. The flasher just buzzed constantly and the lights didn't turn on.

Comment

Looks like I posted too early. Took out the turn signal indicator bulb and that fixed it. Where's the most likely place for front left signal wire to have been cut or shorted?

Comment

How many turn signal indicator bulbs does your bike have?
        If it has only one, then you will need a turn signal diode kit. Its pretty cheap & available via eBay + lots of other sources.

LED turn signals use so little power that the current going though the indicator bulb is enough to light the opposite side turn signals.

Comment

Well I feel pretty dumb for posing this. My new turn signal was dead. I hooked up my old ones and it worked just fine. Guess I'll be contacting the seller and trying to get another.

Comment

Working...
          X