Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLEASE check my work - Timing - TDC 2&3

Hi guys,

Im hoping you guys can check my work. I need to verify that I have the TDC on 2&3 as I want to set my cams down as per the (thanks BASSCLIFF) service manual. I checked and double checked that 1-4 are down by looking through the spark plug gaps. I just don't want to *&^% this up and its my first build. The TDC mark only shows T and F on the 1-4 side. As far as I can tell there is only a Mark as shown in the picture. Sounds logical but I don't want to sewer my engine.

Thanks for the help.
    Attached Files

The mark sits like this:

IMG_7072.jpg

Comment

if you are trying to set your camshaft timing just bring the engine to top dead center on #1 cyl. the t mark is for cyl 1 because thats the cyl that determins tdc... dont worry about cyl 2 3.. tdc is tdc, then you install your cams with the lobes pointing outward, youll see the notches on the cams that have to align with the top edge of the head...

Comment

If you are doing as the below reply then look at the pictures.

The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by evh View Post
          if you are trying to set your camshaft timing just bring the engine to top dead center on #1 cyl. the t mark is for cyl 1 because thats the cyl that determins tdc... dont worry about cyl 2 3.. tdc is tdc, then you install your cams with the lobes pointing outward, youll see the notches on the cams that have to align with the top edge of the head...

The cam shafts sprockets are marked for a 2-3 TDC. That's the only reason why I'm trying to hit the 2-3 marking. Note the lob position.
          image.jpg

Comment

Hi evh,

I pulled off the cam cover and when at TDC the cab lobs and their respective notches (at the end of the cam shafts) were pointing outwards not in wards as this picture states. Im not sure if the previous owner had switched it. It ran before. Im stuck thinking if I should re-install it as I took it out (that would make it harder to position the sprockets as the markings are designed for when the notices are inwards) or install it at "TDC" 1-4 with the lobs notches facing inwards. But that is not what I had seen when I took them out.

IMG_7019.jpg

Comment

Did someone have the sprockets off the camshafts? Maybe they but them back on 180 out?
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Did someone have the sprockets off the camshafts? Maybe they but them back on 180 out?
                The picture in my last post was taken using the stock settings as in the service manual with the no1 arrow level with the mating surface of cam cover gasket, the exhaust cam lob in the picture is no 4, the slot at the end of the cam shaft pointing inwards.
                I guess mr tkent is correct in his assessment and I believe that you need to move the sprockets 180 then use the 1-4 T marks to time up. Not forgetting to clean the sprockets screws and use theadloc when installing. Then all marks should be as service manual.

The picture though is of a gs850 I am assuming that the 1100 is the same If someone could clarify please?

i am wondering if the no 2 & 3 on the sprockets is causing confusion regarding wanting to time it to 2 & 3?
                Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 04-02-2016, 05:34 PM.
                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                past bikes. RF900
                TL1000s
                Hayabusa
                gsx 750f x2
                197cc Francis Barnett
                various British nails

Comment

The 2 and 3 on the sprockets have NOTHING to do with timing it for cylinders 2 and 3.

Just in case the manual is confusing:
                  1. With both cams out of the engine, bring pistons 1 and 4 to TDC, as indicated by the marks on the timing wheel.
                  2. Install the exhaust cam so that the "1" mark is pointing to the front of the head and there is no slack in the front run of the timing chain. You should note that the number 2 mark is pointing UP at this time.
                  3. Consult your manual to see what the pin count should be between mark "2" on the exhaust cam and mark "3" on the intake cam. Start counting the pin that is directly over the "2". That is pin "1". If your count is supposed to be 20 (I don't know the actual number for your bike), make sure that pin 20 is directly over the "3" mark on the intake.
                  4. Verify the count. Note again that the pin over the "2" on the exhaust cam is not "zero", it is "one".
                  5. Verify the count. Yes, do it again. Have someone else count for you, if possible.
                  6. Install the tensioner, do it properly. Depending on the manual you are using, it might not be clear how to do it properly.
                  7. Rotate the engine FORWARD slowly, feeling for any binding. Make sure you do at least TWO complete revolutions.
                  8. Stop with the "1" mark lined up with the edge of the head.
                  9. Re-verify your pin count on the chain.

You do NOT need to verify TDC for cylinders 2 and 3 as long as the crank is not twisted and the cams are still in one piece.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                    The 2 and 3 on the sprockets have NOTHING to do with timing it for cylinders 2 and 3.

Just in case the manual is confusing:
                    1. With both cams out of the engine, bring pistons 1 and 4 to TDC, as indicated by the marks on the timing wheel.
                    2. Install the exhaust cam so that the "1" mark is pointing to the front of the head and there is no slack in the front run of the timing chain. You should note that the number 2 mark is pointing UP at this time.
                    3. Consult your manual to see what the pin count should be between mark "2" on the exhaust cam and mark "3" on the intake cam. Start counting the pin that is directly over the "2". That is pin "1". If your count is supposed to be 20 (I don't know the actual number for your bike), make sure that pin 20 is directly over the "3" mark on the intake.
                    4. Verify the count. Note again that the pin over the "2" on the exhaust cam is not "zero", it is "one".
                    5. Verify the count. Yes, do it again. Have someone else count for you, if possible.
                    6. Install the tensioner, do it properly. Depending on the manual you are using, it might not be clear how to do it properly.
                    7. Rotate the engine FORWARD slowly, feeling for any binding. Make sure you do at least TWO complete revolutions.
                    8. Stop with the "1" mark lined up with the edge of the head.
                    9. Re-verify your pin count on the chain.

You do NOT need to verify TDC for cylinders 2 and 3 as long as the crank is not twisted and the cams are still in one piece.
                    I don't want to cast confusion on this thread but if someone has had the cam sprockets off and put them back 180 deg out would that be what is causing confusion as the owner is stating that when he times up using the 1-4 T and the no1 arrow inline with cam gasket face and no 2 straight up the two slots at the cam shaft are faceing outwards as of inwards (as they should be)?
                    Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 04-03-2016, 06:29 AM.
                    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                    past bikes. RF900
                    TL1000s
                    Hayabusa
                    gsx 750f x2
                    197cc Francis Barnett
                    various British nails

Comment

A picture of his camshaft would help a lot.

Comment

Yes, putting the sprockets on out of phase would definitely mess things up.
                        Would have to consult a manual to see which way they should be.
                        As tkent says, "A picture of his camshaft would help a lot."
                        A view from the right side that shows the notch on the end and the numbers on the sprocket would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                          A view from the right side that shows the notch on the end and the numbers on the sprocket would be great.[/COLOR]
                          And the #1 cam lobe.

Comment

I was able to get my timing worked out to where I was comfortable. The cams weren't spun 180 degrees. Using a 18mm wrench I rolled the engine forward to see the lob position from TDC and found the lobs were consistent with what I was expecting from inspecting the manual. In any event wrenched her together turned her over... head gasket blow out. So I am back to the drawing boards they say. Thanks for the replies to the post. They really helped.. I will post once I get a chance to take her apart and remedy the gasket issue. It might be a while because the wife has got me on a move and house prep schedule as we are moving in the next few months. Happy riding. Cheers from Alberta.

Comment

Working...
                            X