GS450 starter turns immediately when connected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 starter turns immediately when connected

I'm putting together a 1983 GS450 and I believe I have everything connected the right way. But, as I was connecting the starter motor to the starter relay, I powered the starter motor immediately!!! I had starter button at the handlebar disconnected, also the key wasn't connected. Could it be the starter relay that's faulty and thus trying to start the bike immediately when connected?

The bike was functioning fine when I dismantled it, so could it be the relay or do you have any suggestions on where to try? Thanks

Have you disconnected at the relay itself? I think is a yellow wire with a red trace?
    Yes the relay could get stuck but it's unlikely.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Here's the relay, and when I connect that black wire it would turn the starter (when the relay is fixed/grounded to the frame).
      Photo 3.4.2016 14.07.02.jpg
      I did loosen the bolts and I could press down those two points. The battery run out and I will try again after recharging...
      Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2016, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Just tried with another battery and indeed it was the relay just stuck! What I did was loosen the bolts and press down on the relay points/bolts and I worked. Thanks tatu for replying

Comment

Working...
        X