Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for electronic tacho on GS850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for electronic tacho on GS850?

In readiness for the inevitable leak happening again from the rev-counter drive, I've decided to plug that hole and fit an electronic one.
    However, I would like to keep the original clocks housing - anyone done that? Fitted a later tacho into the earlier casing? Fuel gauge is an issue, too. I don't want to lose that.
    An option that occurred to me, is fitting a complete instrument housing from another model that has 19" front wheel, too. Casting around the various specs and parts sheets, it looks as though I'm limited to '82-on GS1000S (Cooley rep, so parts are unlikely to be cheap), GS1100E/S (I like the look of that), or GS550 '83-on (which looks simple and basic, but does it have a fuel gauge?).
    Unless anyone knows different...

ps. Digital read-outs are not considered, as I hate them. A big pointer is the way to go, for simple at-a-glance reading, imo.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Have you replaced the o-rings on the drive?

There are two, which not everybody realizes.

I have never had any leaks after replacing both of them.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

many/most of the original es tachs seem to be getting dodgy, electronically. One option, and the one that I took, is to fit a gsxr gauge set, though the look might not be what you are going for. but on my 1100, a non-gs-centric observer can't tell they are not stock, aesthetically. Electronic tach, mech speedo. took some fiddling and a fabbed bracket, but works great. no gas gauge tho....
      1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

How is the speedo drive on the GSXR driven? If mechanical, I'm not sure of the gearing adapter mix-n-match across Suzukis and even if Suz changed the drive housing entirely, so that gear swapping can't be done.
        After writing my initial post I realised the fuel gauge is a non-issue, as I can mount one on the fairing, and fiddle with matching existing tank sensor to gauge.
        All the same, that GS1100E/S one looks good... Now I'm not sure how far forward it sticks out and whether it will clear the fairing on turning.
        I might have a closer look at the GS550 one, in light of the non-issue of the fuel gauge now.
        ---- Dave

Comment

on my1100 the mechanical gsxr speedo plugged right in, and is accurate enough for me, calibrated by keeping up with the borderline insane freeway speeds here.
          1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
            on my1100 the mechanical gsxr speedo plugged right in, and is accurate enough for me, calibrated by keeping up with the borderline insane freeway speeds here.
            As for checking the speedo calibration, make a few passes by one of those roadside radar speed warning things. I check my bikes whenever one of those is set up near me.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Ok, the GSXR speedos look ok for prices and with any luck the fuel gauge might match up, too. Most seem to be take-off from imports with kph dials, but no biggie, easily re-labelled if the bezel comes off (or gauge out the back). I'm seeing a few 400s and 600s at not bad prices.
              ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
              X