Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter cuts of when giving throttle??!!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter cuts of when giving throttle??!!??

After installing a new stator an R/R i was supposed to start the bike after a while. While cranking the engine i gave it some throttle, the starter died. Letting go of the throttle it cranked up again. It did this almost ever time. Is this some sort of safety feature or is my electrics going crazy?

Something is definitely wonky there.

It is common for the engine to not start if you apply throttle while you have the "choke" applied, but the starter should keep spinning.

Because your carbs do not have a butterfly plate at the entrance of the carb to choke it for cold starting, you may have to adjust your starting technique. Your carbs have an "enrichener circuit" that uses separate fuel and air supplies than the normal circuits. They rely on high engine vacuum (closed throttle) to operate, so opening the throttle at all while trying to start the engine defeats the enrichener. Apply the "choke". Turn the key ON. Pull the clutch lever (unless you have defeated that "safety" feature). Push the starter button. When the engine starts, modulate the engine speed with the "choke" control to keep it between 2000 and 2500. If your carbs are adjusted properly, after about 30 seconds, you can ride off. By the time you get into third gear, you can turn the "choke" OFF.

Comment

Not sure what type bike you refer to but the throttle has ZERO to do with the starter circuit EXCEPT proximity to the starter button and kill switch. Power moves through the kill switch to the starter button and when the button is pressed, moves out of the right hand switch gear to trigger your starter solenoid. It may go through a safety switch on your clutch (mine does) on its way to the starter solenoid. The power triggers the solenoid to close the loop between the hot terminal and the lug on the solenoid which feeds power to the starter.

OK... the throttle is in the same right hand switchgear and moving may either be knocking off the contacts that allow power to pass through the kill switch to the starter button or contact with the starter button. Proximity means that the throttle cable assembly is somehow messing with either the switch or button contact.

Comment

Working...
      X