Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring 2 horns to '79 gs850g ?

Hi everyone,

I just connected up a new horn to replace the old barely functioning whisper quiet "meep meep" horn.

I have 2 wires, a green and an orange with blade connectors on them that can be connected up to a horn on the original harness.

(I connected and have a working "high tone" freeway blaster on there for the past couple hours.)

In order to connect the "low tone" horn as well as the high tone would I just need to create a "jumper wire" ?

would I need to run a relay and connection to the battery ? (seems to work fine with one horn without a relay)

sean
    Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2016, 05:32 PM. Reason: clarity

With a relay you will get more voltage to the horn, and thereby a louder horn. I doubt you'll get a satisfactory tone without one. From the relay, you wire the horns in parallel, rather than in series. There are plenty of wiring diagrams examples of you google it.

Comment

It came with two horns stock...

Shop online for OEM Wiring Harness parts that fit your 1979 Suzuki GS850G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-595-4063
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Does anyone adjust horns anymore ?
        Most of them have an adjuster screw. The internal contacts gap needs resetting every decade without fail
        I see a lot of horns junked that could be brought back to life.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          Most of them have an adjuster screw. The internal contacts gap needs resetting every decade without fail
          I've brought several car horns back from the dead like that, but bike horns not so much. Exposure to road salt does terrible things, and many budget bike horns are very cheaply constructed, with no adjustment in mind down the line. Otoh, the general quality level of Suzuki electrical fittings wasn't too bad, so there's a chance they didn't cheap out on the horns.
          Atm, I'm using a pair of K100 horns with a nice tone, but the 'zuk horns would fit into the original space far better.
          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            I had to uncrimp the ring holding the 2 halves together on mine to clean the contacts. After that, and adjusting the screw, it works fine.
            https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
            1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
            X