Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kokusan Densi vs. Nippon Densi spark advance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kokusan Densi vs. Nippon Densi spark advance...

Thinking of getting a Dyna S ignition to use on the 550/675 engine. This uses the original mechanical spark advance.

I have a few 550 engines here, some with Nippon Densi and some with Kokusan Densi ignitions. I can use either the Nippon Densi or Kokusan Densi advance unit. Dyna makes a DS3-1 ignition for use with the Kokusan Densi advancer, and a DS3-2 for the Nippon Densi advancer.
    The rest of the ignition parts are not used, only the mechanical advance.

Any advantage to one advance unit over the other? Is one of them built better? Going to last longer? Easier to change springs? Any other differences that makes one better than the other?

TIA

Life is too short to ride an L.

Since you have both types, what appears to be the difference that requires two styles of dyna ? Fit on crank? Orientation of signal coils?
    my ND setup has given me no issues.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm not in the same hemisphere as my motorcycles, but the cranks are the same so can use either one. Just the advances look slightly different. Flyweights are shaped differently, the spinning plate that holds that stuff is different. I have never heard of ignition problems on first generation 550s so I bet either one is fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
      X