1980 GS850 Starter Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850 Starter Button

When I picked up my 1980 GS850G last year the PO ended up putting new handlebars, levers and mounted the forward controls with in the face plates of the levers due to no more room on the handlebars. Well in the rhs he mounted the stater switch below the kill switch like on the stock controls. Well considering the type of momentary switch that he used for the starter button, it didnt last too long and is now fried. So with that being said, it now has to be replaced. And my question is, is there a certain amperage rating that the new switch has to be or can I use any amperage and be ok? Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2016, 04:05 PM.

The starter button doesn't need very high current capability since it only drives the starter solenoid. Probably under 1 amp draw so most any switch will work. Just make sure it's water resistant.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks JT for your quick reply. I'll head to my local radio shack and see what they have considering their selection of switches.

Comment

The two starter solenoids off suzukis that I checked both drew 3 amps off a 12 volt battery at pull in.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Go with Tom's figure when selecting a switch. He actually measured it. 3 amps is still pretty small for any mechanical switch. Betting you'd be hard pressed to find one less then 5 amp capability.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
          X