Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time owner of a GS850L. Electrical Problem Neutral light goes out ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time owner of a GS850L. Electrical Problem Neutral light goes out ???

I picked up a 1983 gs 850L with 12,700 miles last week. Bike is all original and in pretty good shape for 33 years old. I have never owned a Suzuki motorcycle and I have been riding a long time. The motorcycle was well maintained and runs strong. I have issue that the neutral light goes out after the bike is ridden for 1/2 hour}+. Also loose #1 gear indicator light on dash display. 2-3-4-5 work fine. Everything works fine when the bike is cold or just started. Any help would be welcome. Thanks, John

There is a gear indicator switch located on the left side of the transmission behind the secondary drive cover. It's round with a black rubberized center. Some times the switch can get dirty. you can remove the switch and clean the contacts. Be aware that there is a spring loaded pin that is the actual electrical contact that may fall out if you're not careful. No bid deal as long as you keep an eye out for it.

It's number 37 in this diagram:

Items 42 and 43 are the spring and pin. There's a cable of wires that come out from the switch with two connectors. One (larger) connector carries 1-5 while the single bullet connector is for neutral.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Screw 39 in the pic is more than likely JIS not phillips and is quite a way in. Get a good fitting tool or you could end up messing up the head and I would suggest replacing it with a socket cap screw unless you have or plan on getting JIS tools.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

If you look at a schematic, oh, there is one right above here, is for an 80, but I don't think much of any difference for an 83 other than for a sidestand switch, but same for the neutral and gear position.

Anyway, you see the switch for neutral is the same device as for the gear positions, as was mentioned before.
          When troubleshooting the switch, also note that isn't any power lead going to the switch, but is a ground wire. But, that not at all related to your problem since you said have problem with neutral 1 & 2 and not the others. ANy problem with that ground wire would effect all lights the same. But I mention this just incase you are troubleshooting with a voltmeter or continuity tester.

Similar to what others have said, I suspect a problem with the contacts inside that switch (I have not had one apart, so cant add anything to that conversation). Could also be a problem with how those bulbs seat in their socket, but since you say they go out after bike warms up, that makes me suspect the switch since it is more effected by engine heat.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

If you use a Philips impact driver it will get those screws out without too much trouble.

There really isn't any "inside of the switch" since the contacts are right on the back in a circular pattern. There is no ground "wire" going to the switch. The pin and spring assembly intersects the switch contact and provides ground through the transmission shaft to light the appropriate light. Basically the transmission shaft rotates around and moves the sprung pin to a new location on the "gear switch" which intersects a new contact. As you go up and down through the gears the rotating shaft goes clockwise/counter-clockwise through the contacts lighting the appropriate light by providing ground to that bulb.

Like I stated earlier, the contacts for gears 1-5 are wired into on connector while the neutral contact has its own wire and bullet connector. Just use some steel wool and you can clean those contacts up nicely. You might want to clean up the pin and spring assembly as well.
            Last edited by JTGS850GL; 04-23-2016, 01:18 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thank you to all for your help. You are the best.

Comment

I just replaced this piece on th 82 gs650. It took two minutes with a long Phillips screw driver. Bought a complete unit of eBay for 11.

Comment

I have a new switch and O ring on the way as a back up. When I take out the one that is giving me problems to clean it, will a large amount if oil leak out?

Comment

Don't know if any oil will leak out, but you can put the bike on the centerstand, then put the left foot of the stand on a 2x4 to lean it to the right. Looks awkward, but is surprisingly stable.

That works well enough to keep oil from coming out while changing a stator, will probably work for a shifter switch, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X