Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDI gsx750e

Hey!

Been reading for quite some time now, but haven't been able to find an anwser.
    So, time for a first post!

A few months ago I've crashed my girlfriends gs550 and now stuck in rebuilding but also
    upgrading her motorcycle. A new engine (I think gsx750e, so gs750e in America) has been purchased, but struggling to
    figure out what CDI to buy.
    It's the engine in the pictures below, the engine number is: R701-102490. Furthermore: 750cc, 16v with electronic ignition.

Somebody is willing to sell me a CDI from a gsx750es (CDI: NipponDenso 32900-31310), not sure is this will fit (?).

SO, to summarize; is this indeed a gsx750e and what CDI will fit?

Thanks in advance

Maarten

foto 1.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2016, 07:23 AM.

foto 3.jpg

And a second photo. Apologies for the twisted photo, haven't been able to get them right.
    Thanks!

Maarten

Comment

That 32900-31310 was used on these models..

1983 SUZUKI GS750ED - SIGNAL GENERATOR
      1983 SUZUKI GS750ESD - SIGNAL GENERATOR
      1985 SUZUKI GS700EF - SIGNAL GENERATOR
      1985 SUZUKI GS700ESF - SIGNAL GENERATOR

on your g/f's crashed bike... What year? Does it have a mechanical advancer triggering the signal coils? Later year bikes had advancer built into ignitor unit (not actually a CDI) to eliminate the mechanical one. They won't interchange.

why do you think your ignitor unit is damaged? What is the part number?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the fast reply!
        The original motor was a Suzuki gs550 1981 with 'old' contact point and indeed a mechanical advancer. But since we're rebuilding the bike due to the accident, we thought this would be the perfect moment to 'gain some power'. Also because the piston rings were totally worn and I 'hate' the valve adjustment system (shims), it's basically a win-win.

This being said, we've bought a 750cc engine (probably a gsx750) but without the CDI. This new engine (the 16v model) has an electronic ignition, but with a mechanical advancer (see extra photo below).

So to anwser your question, the ignition of the gs550 isn't damaged, but we've just swapped to an other engine.

I think that I might need the 32900-45411 (ignition unit), but since I'm not sure what exact type of engine I've got, i'm not sure......

Thanks.
        Maarten

foto.jpg

Comment

The old ignitor (not a CDI as tom said) should work with the new engine. You may have to play with the pinout on the connectors though (not sure).

Edit: sorry, I was thinking of the US market 550 which came with an ignitor stock. If your 550 came with points you will have to find an ignitor.

I believe most of the ignitors function the same, so you may not need a 750 version specifically. Just be sure it is the type of ignitor that uses a mechanical advance unit and it should be fine after you figure out how to connect it.
          Last edited by Nessism; 04-28-2016, 05:51 PM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That motor looks like a 1980 or 1981 model year. In 1982 they changed the head to allow for a couple more bolts on the valve cover to provide a better seal.
            I looked up the CDI for 80-81 750 it part# is 33120-45410.

My 1982 looks to have the same ignition set up and I have a 32900-45411 on it.

Comment

Thanks both!

I think i'll go with the 32900-45411 and tinker with the wires seeing I don't have the original wire loom.
              I see what you mean Nessism, perhaps the 1100 will fit and function aswell.

I think it's save to say it's the ''gsx750e'' from around 1980/1981(??) So no additives and stuff.

Maarten

Comment

Working...
              X