Starter/electrical on new 81 GS1100EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter/electrical on new 81 GS1100EX

OK she's new to me. I bought the bike 10 days ago or so. The ride home was about 150 miles. I stopped and got gas near the beginning of the ride and also near the end. The bike worked well both times.

Then two days ago I accidentally left the key on and killed the battery. I put it on a charger and checked the fluid level after it charged, it all looked good. Yesterday it started fine and I drive it to work, 4 hours later it started right back up. Today I took it for a couple rides with no trouble but at the end of the third ride I stored to get gas and it wouldn't start at the pump. The motor would turn over a couple times but real slowly and didn't catch. Since the bike was hot it bumped first try in 3rd gear.

The gas station is less than a mile from home so I just got home and let the bike sit for a couple minutes (checked cylinder and header Temps at this time) and then tried to start hot again. Same symptoms. After that I checked my village at the fuse box and, with the headlight off I showed 12.45 volts. I didn't think to check with the ignition on and I didn't check while trying to start.

I'm leaning toward the battery being shot from the draining but I'm not at all certain. Because it sends to start up when cold. But maybe it's something else so I figured I'd ask here.

Idoubtitmatters but FWIW the cylinders were around 240 and the headers around 150.

Do a quick test in my signature.

Comment

Yeah, looks like the voltage is low. I'll go get a couple readings now that the village has normalized from charging. After that I'll put the charger back on I possibly didn't get a full charge on it before. I have a SH-775 on order already and will do the single point ground when it arrives. PO claims the stator was replaced in the last 24 months.

Comment

Yep, battery is dead. 12.4 of and 11.1 with lights on. I showed .8 ohms between legs. They still have the bullet connectors but they look new, zero corrosion and lubed with what altars to be dielectric grease. So it is likely that the po was telling the truth about a new stator.

ETA: the garage is next to the kids room so a charging test will have to wait. I don't want to wake them up!

I use the same SOC pdf for my sailboat. Funny seeing it in a different context.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2016, 02:14 AM.

Comment

" So it is likely that the po was telling the truth about a new stator."
          Maybe, but this doesn't mean it's still good. So put the SH-775 on ,(eliminate handlebar stator loop), and do the quick Test again. If all looks good, you might not need a new stator. Consider opting for onboard voltmeter to keep you informed.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X