Mounting the SH775 R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting the SH775 R/R

Just ordered one of these. I took the old stock one off last night and was surprised at how small it is. Just wondering how others mounted the SH775 when mounting holes don't line up, or it's bigger than stock, etc. Thanks for any comments.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Lots of posts on mounting the SH -775. Hopefully, your stator is still good. Did you test it?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What bike?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

On my 1980 850GL, the stock R/R mounted to a tab which was welded to the bottom of the battery box. The SH775 bolt holes were something like 1/4" wider, so I just cut the tab in half and spread it apart until the holes lined up. On other bikes, you might have to be more creative. But at the end of the day, you pretty much just bolt it up wherever there's room.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Dave, call Steve as I believe he put one on Brad's bike
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
            Just ordered one of these. I took the old stock one off last night and was surprised at how small it is. Just wondering how others mounted the SH775 when mounting holes don't line up, or it's bigger than stock, etc. Thanks for any comments.
            I just mounted one on an 82 1100E. I mounted it to the back side of the plate where the OEM R/R was mounted. This worked because I have pod filters, don't know if it would be possible with the airbox and I'm not sure I would want to tuck it away like that out of the air flow with the airbox in the way.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

'84 1100GK. The stator is bad. Caltric on order. I wanted to go ahead and replace R/R too.
              Current Bikes:

Comment

It may be as simple as fabbing an adapter plate for the stock position. I did that with the much heavier Cycle Electric 601 (before we knew about the SH775). It was heavy enough that it eventually broke the spot welds for the stock mount at the bottom of the battery tray. I bent up some a steel strap to mount the regulator in the stock position, but hanging from the same mounts on the frame as the whole battery tray. If the SH775 is about the same weight as stock, you could probably just make an adapter plate out of a junction box cover plate from the hardware store's electrical department.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. One thing I discovered is that the OEM igniter, or whatever it's called, is not even hooked up. I did notice when I took the timing cover off for polishing that there is a non-stock looking thing mounted in there with little half-moon thingies on each side of the shaft. I'm guessing it's a replacement igniter system of some kind. I'm guessing the stock one went bad on somebody. Always finding surprises on this bike.
                  Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                    Thanks for the ideas. One thing I discovered is that the OEM igniter, or whatever it's called, is not even hooked up. I did notice when I took the timing cover off for polishing that there is a non-stock looking thing mounted in there with little half-moon thingies on each side of the shaft. I'm guessing it's a replacement igniter system of some kind. I'm guessing the stock one went bad on somebody. Always finding surprises on this bike.
                    More then likely a Dynatek Dyna-S ignition. It's a good replacement for the stock igniter.
                    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks. I knew about those but forgot the name.
                      Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                      X