Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crimp spade terminal without a crimper ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crimp spade terminal without a crimper ?

Hi all

I started changing out my front brake assembly today (old one was leaking) for an aftermarket model.

The new model has 2 male spade terminals fot connecting the brake light wires.

I happen to have a couple spade teminals lying around but no crimper.

Is there a way to crimp them without spending $30-$50 on a tool I might only use once ?

(My plan is to cut the wires off the little contact plate that squeezing the brake lever causes the brake lights to come on and attach them to leads and to the electrical connectors on the new assembly)

I do have pliers, wirecutters but no crimper.

sean
    Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2016, 11:34 PM.

Solder it. Way better than Crimp. Put some heat shrink over the junction.
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Get a parrot. Mine can bite through any thing if you look around my house.lol
      Seriously tho, You can get a cheapie a$$ crimper at the dollar store or the China bin at the auto parts store.
      Hey, pliers or vise grips have been used many a time for crimping connectors.
      It's not ideal, but gotta do what ya gotta do.
      Just Zip tie the brake light wire to the handlebar near the 2 spade connectors so they don't get tugged and they will likely be just fine.
      It's not a perfect world. Just do what you can do.

Comment

i just used a cheap set of wire cutters that had crimping spots on it i messed up one of these coil terminals using regular pliers and had to call dyna to get some more which they sent for free becuase i couldnt find any locally
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
          Solder it. Way better than Crimp. Put some heat shrink over the junction.
          Nothing is better than a good crimp done with good connectors and proper tools. There's a reason factories crimp everything. The junk from Walmart or Harbor Freight isn't it.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

plier or channel lock -don't smash the whole thing at once crimp one side half at a time - there is a split down the center of the metal - I did it yesterday - didn't have the proper tool with me - if you care what it looks like slide the plastic off of it and do the crimp them slide plastic back over
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
            X