11EZ gear indicator light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11EZ gear indicator light?

As it was delivered in 1982, did the gear indicator on a GS1100e have a backlight, or some other way to make it visible at night?

I'm wondering because I've bought several on this sight (one for $40!), none of which light up like the rest of the gauges.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

My 1982 GS1100EZ gear indicator lights up. I purchased the bike a year ago and the previous owner replaced the indicator with a new Suzuki indicator.
    1982 GS1100E
    1975 CB750 Honda
    1974 CT-90 Honda
    1966 Yamaha 250 Big Bear scrambler
    2007 FXSTD Softail Deuce
    2009 FLHX Street Glide
    2017 FLHX Street Glide

Comment

Rob the gear indicator is supposed to illuminate but according to Pos they commonly fail. He directed me to one of these as it's almost an exact fit for the opening in the bezel.

I bought two of them and never got around to installing them as I sold the bike but I did jumper the wires to the gear position wiring and they are BRIGHT.

Comment

What Shadow said..
        Back when i had mine (mid 90s), the bulb died. i opened up the cluster and found the bulb was soldered to a circuit board or something along those lines. I bought a 12v bulb, which looked similar to an old mag lite bulb, unsoldered the old one and soldered the replacement on. It worked for the rest of the time that i owned it.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          What Shadow said..
          Back when i had mine (mid 90s), the bulb died. i opened up the cluster and found the bulb was soldered to a circuit board or something along those lines. I bought a 12v bulb, which looked similar to an old mag lite bulb, unsoldered the old one and soldered the replacement on. It worked for the rest of the time that i owned it.
          I replaced the incandescent bulb with a white LED.
          1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
          1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Working...
          X