Brake/tail light help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake/tail light help

I'm having trouble with my tail light. I thought it was wired up properly. Tail light was on and when pressing rear brake it got brighter.

everytime I would go ride it would eventually stop working.

Now ow it won't work at all and coincidentally my gear number display just reads "8" for all gears.

please help!

(Also: no longer has turn signals, Headlight + speedo + tach work great,)

Which bike is this? If you put the year model in your sig it saves you typing it every time.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

The fact that your gear indicator is digital rules out any of the bikes I am familiar with, but there are a LOT of others.

As fastbysuzuki asks, ... which one are we discussing here?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Visiting his profile says it's a 78 GS750.Yeah it would be nice if new people remembered this place has a lot of members and almost nobody could remember who has what.

Comment

GROUNDS GROUNDS GROUNDS! Be sure to check and clean all your grounds and connections. I had issues with my turn signals. After cleaning everything the signals are noticeable brighter and work! 👍
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

sorry, yes it is a 1978 GS750e

Comment

Good, now put that into your signature line.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Now Im not getting anything to the taillight/brakelight, but i have headlights?

from reading up on this bike I'm pretty sure it has 1 fuse meaning there should still be power going to the rear?

If the brake switch is bad, i should still get power to the twilight wires??

thanks for all the replies!
                Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2016, 01:29 PM.

Comment

If the 750 was anything like the 1000 you should have double ground connector for the bullet type connectors and they seem to get loose over time. Trace the black wires with a white stripe (ground wires) back there to see if that is your problem.
                  '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                    If the 750 was anything like the 1000 you should have double ground connector for the bullet type connectors and they seem to get loose over time. Trace the black wires with a white stripe (ground wires) back there to see if that is your problem.

ill give it a try and report back

Comment

If you are missing just the tail light function at the rear, that is fed by a brown wire that comes from the ignition switch. That brown wire is fed by a gray wire that branches off the headlight circuit, so some of your problem might be in the contacts in the ignition switch. You can access them by removing the headlight bucket, then just a couple of screws at the bottom of the switch assembly to remove the contacts.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

found some ungrounded wires up near the headlamp. grounded them now were in business!

Thanks for all the replies

Comment

Working...
                        X