No Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Spark

1982 GS850gz. Wifey came home last fall mentioning she almost couldn't get her bike started, but once it started, it ran "fine". I tried to start it, no go. We put it away for winter and I thought it was carb/choke issue. Rebuilt carbs, looked fine, put new o-rings in. ANYHOW, now there's no spark! Battery has 12 volts, yeah, a tad low, but it should start the damn thing, it seems to spin it fast enough. Primary side of coils both read 4.6 ohms, I can't get a reading from the secondary side of either coils and I'm getting 10.12 volts to only ONE coil.
    Before I start ripping sh*t apart, any ideas? Perhaps a new battery would be in order, is some of the wiring to one coil hooped? It would seem odd that I wouldn't get ANY secondary reading from both coils either.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Sigh! I knew it was something simple. I'm glad I stepped back and thought about things for a bit. I thought to myself, "self, when you did the spark test, did you have the clutch lever pulled in?" Hmmm, better check. Vacumn cleaner! Spark! Still didn't start, but sounded like it wanted to. Okay, time to bring out the big guns, a CAR BATTERY!!! Heh, heh, that got her goin'! Ordered a battery, phoned the wife at work to tell her, she's happy, I'm relieved.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
    X