1978 GS1000 starter button does not operate starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS1000 starter button does not operate starter

Hey y'all. As the title states, I'm having issues getting the starter button to start the bike. I used my multimeter to check the button itself and it was operating like it should, so no problem there. The kill switch also does what it's supposed to. I also removed every bit of electrical tape on the harness to check for broken or damaged wires, everything looked good. I've been staring at the wiring diagram in my manual and at my wiring harness all day and all of the wires look like they're connected to all of the right places. All grounds look good. I took the fuse panel off and inspected it also, everything looked serviceable as far as I could tell. The starter will crank if I jump the terminals on the brand new starter relay/solenoid. I don't know what else to check or look into. Anyone with more experience know of anything else I can test, inspect, etc?

Not sure if the '78 model had the "safety" feature, but have you tried pulling the clutch lever first?

There is no other "safety" system regarding the starter. Some other bikes will start without pulling the clutch if it's in neutral. Other bikes will kill the engine if the side stand is down and the transmission is in gear. The GS is not one of them.

If pulling the clutch lets you start your bike, great. If you wish to bypass this "safety" feature, let us know, it's VERY easy to do. I have done several in less than 3 minutes, using only a Phillips screwdriver.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, I would like to know how to bypass the switch if it is the same for a 1980 GS550L. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Spencerider View Post
        Hey y'all. As the title states, I'm having issues getting the starter button to start the bike. I used my multimeter to check the button itself and it was operating like it should, so no problem there. The kill switch also does what it's supposed to. I also removed every bit of electrical tape on the harness to check for broken or damaged wires, everything looked good. I've been staring at the wiring diagram in my manual and at my wiring harness all day and all of the wires look like they're connected to all of the right places. All grounds look good. I took the fuse panel off and inspected it also, everything looked serviceable as far as I could tell. The starter will crank if I jump the terminals on the brand new starter relay/solenoid. I don't know what else to check or look into. Anyone with more experience know of anything else I can test, inspect, etc?
        Have you tried running power to the solenoid to see if it is activating, clicking? Hold the case(metal part) on the negative post and touch the yellow/green wire to the positive. You may just have a bum solenoid. I see bad ones all the time at our shop. The boss buys the cheap stuff from China sometimes and half of them seem to have problems. A side customer recently bought a solenoid for his '02 R1 and the 4 pin connector would even stay in the housing.
        Last edited by gsrick; 06-04-2016, 10:26 PM.
        :cool:GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremyrees05 View Post
          Steve, I would like to know how to bypass the switch if it is the same for a 1980 GS550L. Thanks!
          Follow the wires the from the clutch lever into the headlight bucket and loop the harness wires that they're connected to back to themselves. You'll be bypassing the leverswitch, but be careful because it can start in gear if you do that. Just like the older bikes.
          :cool:GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

To answer Steve's question a stock 78 1000 doesn't have a clutch switch.The last year they didn't I believe.Took the "safety feature" out on my 85 750,SO easy as the ends just plug into each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremyrees05 View Post
              Rick already answered, but yes, it's the same. Remove the headlight, find the two wires that come from the clutch switch. Disconnect them from the main harness. Plug the two connectors on the main harness into each other. Put the headlight back in. Be careful, as you can now start it IN GEAR, as mentioned.

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              To answer Steve's question a stock 78 1000 doesn't have a clutch switch.
              Thanks. Wasn't sure if it might have started with the '78 1000E, then trickled down to the '79 1000 (standard), along with the other models.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Seems to be an across the board change for all the 79 models.My 78 1000 has a perch from a 79 400 to take advantage of the later dogleg levers.No switch mechanism used of course.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                  Have you tried running power to the solenoid to see if it is activating, clicking? Hold the case(metal part) on the negative post and touch the yellow/green wire to the positive. You may just have a bum solenoid. I see bad ones all the time at our shop. The boss buys the cheap stuff from China sometimes and half of them seem to have problems. A side customer recently bought a solenoid for his '02 R1 and the 4 pin connector would even stay in the housing.
                  I haven't tried that yet. I'll give her a go after I get back home. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Not sure if the '78 model had the "safety" feature, but have you tried pulling the clutch lever first?

There is no other "safety" system regarding the starter. Some other bikes will start without pulling the clutch if it's in neutral. Other bikes will kill the engine if the side stand is down and the transmission is in gear. The GS is not one of them.

If pulling the clutch lets you start your bike, great. If you wish to bypass this "safety" feature, let us know, it's VERY easy to do. I have done several in less than 3 minutes, using only a Phillips screwdriver.

I have tried pulling the clutch lever and I get the same result.

Comment

Hi,
                      a bit late to the party I know but if you haven't already got sorted I'd check and recheck the Starter solanoid. I'd very similar circumstances to yours therefore been watching this thread with great interest.
                      Pulled into a gas station Sunday afternoon and after a fill pressed the button and "nothing" not a sound, dash lights didn't dim "nothing", we bit of a push/bump start and went fine. Checked the Solanoid on the battery and it was clicking fine, then took it apart cleaned it up and rebuilt it, now the Starter is working again. I'll be ordering a new one just the same.

Comment

I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this before. It turns out that even though the relay/solenoid is bolted to the frame, it didn't have a very good ground. I connected a jumper cable from the body of the solenoid to the negative battery terminal and everything worked like a charm. Thanks guys!

Comment

This can also happen if you pinch the wire in the controls. Then it blows the fuse (which sometimes don't look blown in the glass fuses) & displays the same symptoms... Found that one out the hard way.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                          X