Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cylinder 1 and 4 are not firing, but the coil seems to be fine. What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder 1 and 4 are not firing, but the coil seems to be fine. What?

1980 GS850 here. 17k miles. The problem is that cylinders 1 and 4 fire great, but 2 and 3 do not. The bike runs but has a ton of trouble idling and sounds bad, as two cylinders arent really doing their thing.

Naturally, I changed the spark plugs. No change. Then, I figured the coil was faulty. I replaced it with a used original, and the problem was unchanged.

Next, I figured it might be a problem with the ignition. So, I replaced the Pick up coil. This also caused no change.

Context: The bike ran perfectly well last summer. I winterized it, put it away, and now this. So something happened while it was stored away.

Now I'm confused. I took the coil that was giving fine spark and hooked it up where the other coil was, and it did not get spark, suggesting that the original coil I replaced wasn't actually faulty. My thoughts? Something with the wiring must be bad. Maybe a short? What do you think? I have not replaced the spark plug hats. thats probably my next one to try.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2016, 06:19 PM.

Its not likely the plug caps if the known to be good coil failed to fire.
    Do you have a meter and a manual to test the parts?
    Last edited by Cipher; 06-05-2016, 06:36 PM.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Sounds like a faulty ignitor
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Did you try swapping the coils to see if the problem stays on the same cylinders or follows the coil swap?

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

It reads like he did that. Did he move the good coil with its original wires attached though?
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            It reads like he did that. Did he move the good coil with its original wires attached though?

I did. I really feel like the coil itself is good.

Comment

I'm looking up as much as i can read on igniters, but i'm not understanding. could you explain more about it? How is it different from the voltage regulator?

Comment

Check the connections from ignition coils down to ignitor- maybe a mouse gnawed on a connector. Put the old pickup coil back on to be safe.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TortillaChip View Post
                  I'm looking up as much as i can read on igniters, but i'm not understanding. could you explain more about it? How is it different from the voltage regulator?
                  One regulates DC Voltage. The other makes a spark.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                  X