Blinker Problems!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinker Problems!!!

I recently acquired a 81 GS850L, it has been a fun project. Long story short I bought the bike not running over the past few weeks messing around ordering new parts its alive once more and running great. However i need the blinkers to work to pass inspection. The left blinkers work great, this is where i have no idea what im doing. I switch over to the right blinkers and the headlight and tail light begin to flash (like the right blinkers should) but the right blinkers do nothing. Im sure this is an easy fix and someone wired them up wrong but i have no idea where to even begin. I do not have much experience with electrical. any help would be much appreciated. thank so much!

A good place to start would be the earth connections usually black/white wires, download a diagram from bikecliffes site find where they terminate to the frame disconnect from frame clean to shiny metal reconnect and put some vaseline or dielectric grease to protect from corrosion.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

My gut reaction is same as fastbysuzuki. There is a bad connection on the earth return from the right turn signals most likely close to the tail or headlight bucket. Current will try to find a route to ground and if the normal channel is not available it goes any which way it can.
      Disconnect the feed to each right signal in turn and see what happens.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Okay I found both grounds to the frame and rerouted them to the ground on the battery. Still only the left blinker blinks and the headlight and taillight blink for the right blinker.

Comment

Originally posted by Moto122 View Post
          Okay I found both grounds to the frame and rerouted them to the ground on the battery. Still only the left blinker blinks and the headlight and taillight blink for the right blinker.
          Do the headlight and taillight work normally otherwise? After checking the grounds at the back my next place would be the connections and grounds in the headlight bucket.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Still only the left blinker blinks and the headlight and taillight blink for the right blinker.
            you'd better get into the wiring diagram...the suzukis have colour coded wires. You want to pay attention where the Light green is going!! sounds like someone got confused at some point.

This is a big help...scroll down a bit to Wiring Color Chart/Usage

and much more

Comment

Yes the headlight is always on when the key is switched. High and low beam work. Tail light is illuminated when key is on. When you press the brake the tail light gets brighter. I have followed the green wire(right side blinker) and it's connected correctly in the front and back. Any possible way the hand control switch is bad? If so can I unplug it and put and wire connecting the right connections to make the blinker work? (just to test if the switch is bad)

Comment

Okay found the problem! the Positive and ground wire were worn down and touching each other for the right blinker, cut and spliced in new wires and works like a charm. thanks for everyones help on here! couldnt of done it without those wiring diagrams.

Comment

Working...
                X