two strange electrical issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

two strange electrical issues

1st - my fuel gauge almost always indicates empty while riding at anything approaching highway speeds. Seems that vibration at higher speeds affects it. This was true from when the bike was new (I'm original owner). Reads OK at idle or bike off.

2nd - when I first start up the bike, several warning lights will be on, despite there being no problem. Brake line (verified to be on ), headlight (verified to be on), etc. This goes away as the bike runs awhile. I seem to remember this behavior from years ago, before the bike was 'put away' for several years.

Neither is critical, but I've been scratching my head over them for some time.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2016, 11:04 AM.

At a guess they are related. Don't you have that check panel control unit thing ?
    I would suspect the earth wire, black/white, has a dirty pin in the connecting plug or similar.
    Generally 'disco' lights from a unit with multiple supplies is an earth issue.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I will concur with Brendan.

There have been many reports of poor solder joints on the circuit board in the display panel.
      One of those poorly-soldered joints might be the earth (we call them "ground") connection.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

haven't had the display panel apart yet. I'll have to check that out. I just find it odd that the lights go out after a bit. Plus, when I hit the high beam light, the headlight error light comes on, then goes out after a few seconds. after about 5 minutes running, they are all out. Almost sounds like something is 'drained' in the circuit board; capacitor?

Comment

Is that the unit on the right side of the battery box, with about a dozen wires coming out of it??? I did check connections there, but not the ground.

Comment

I'm looking at this http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...wiringdia_.jpg
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I'll have to print that wiring diagram, hard to follow on my tablet. Looks like the indicator lights all go through a control board inside the dash unit. So I'll need to take a peek inside.

The manual indicates unit on the battery box appears to be the self cancelling turn signal control unit.

thanks for the replies

Comment

I've got a similar problem with my 1100E. I just put in a new Ricks stator and Compufire RR and when I fired it back up all the red lights were on. Mine don't go off after 5 minutes though. I was scratching my head thinking it must have something to do with my new components but I guess I need to check that display panel board. My recollection is that it is a PITA to get into.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                X