need help with coil mod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with coil mod...

1979 GS750L w/points ign - I had read somewhere that this would take maybe 30 minutes... I'm getting kinda deep into it here....
    I need a little 'clarification' on the coil mod... I've read and re-read the instructions from bikecliff's site and, sadly, i can't seem to grasp it...

I've disconnected the o/w wires from coils and stripped the harness back towards the headlight about a foot... in the photo you can see the o/w wire that was connected to the coils. Is there any need to strip the harness further? I'm thinking this o/w is coming from the kill switch and I should connect it to the new relay @ #30. . . then take a new wire from the unused 'accessory' fuse holder at the battery and run it to the relay @ #86... then take the o/w wires from the coils and connect them to #87 on the relay... connect #85 to ground ... do i got it right? any help would be really appreciated....
    Also, what becomes of the white wire on coil 1 and the black wire from coil 2???
    Thanks,
    Dieseln
    20160625_194202.jpg

Why did you "strip the harness" ... AT ALL???

1. Remove the orange/white wires from the coils.
    2. Find a place to mount your relay. If it's close to the coils, it might be easier.
    3. Put one of the orange/white wires on #85 or #86 on the relay.
    4. Connect #86 or #85 (the one you didn't use in step #3) to ground.
    5. Run a wire from the battery (or the battery terminal on the starter solenoid) to #30 on the relay. Make sure there is a 10-amp fuse in the line.
    6. How many #87 terminals are on your relay? Some have one, others have two. Be careful, some of the terminals in the center might be 87A, which is different. If you have one #87, make a splitter wire, connect #87 to both coils. If you have two #87 terminals, run a wire from each one to a coil.
    7. The black wire and the white wire do not get touched, they are fine just the way they are. The only wire you need to "worry" about is the second orange/white wire. It will be 'hot' when the key is on, so be sure to insulate it so it does not touch anything.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you Steve! I was following one of the step-by-step coil mods on the bikecliff site.... your directions seem much clearer....

Comment

Working...
      X