one coil hot other coil not getting ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one coil hot other coil not getting ground

Ok so I have a problem, My bike has been hard to start when cold for a while. It usually got going and ran perfectly fine. Last week my wife and I were about to go for a ride and it wouldn't fire. Finally 2 cylinders fired up 2-3 and bike ran like poo and had no power so that ride got cancelled.

Left coil not getting power on the ground wire which is white. I have power on all 3 other wires. I can get cylinders 1-4 to spark if I take a wire from the black wire on the right coil and jump it to the left coil.

I have checked all the connections and there wasn't very much corrosion on any of them other then some rust on the tank and seat. I cleaned off the ground under the battery as well as the bolts for the coil.

I printed and went through the tech guide and my guess is that the wire may have some problem somewhere along the way but that doesn't explain the hot coil?

any suggestions.

I swear I was part of this forum before im not sure what happened. I use it a ton.

Comment

It's either a bad crank trigger or a broken wire.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I think so too.

Is - terminal on the coil a ground? I know the red/orange wires come from the kill switch, but Im not sure where the - wires come from one side is black it works fine the other is white it doesn't work at all.

I am wondering If I can by pass it some how to test the wire. is the - terminal wire the line from the pickup coil? if so then i have to test the pick up coil as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sangheraent View Post
          I think so too.

Is - terminal on the coil a ground? I know the red/orange wires come from the kill switch, but Im not sure where the - wires come from one side is black it works fine the other is white it doesn't work at all.

I am wondering If I can by pass it some how to test the wire. is the - terminal wire the line from the pickup coil? if so then i have to test the pick up coil as well.
          What bike do you have? The coil negative terminal goes to the ignitor on the electronic ignition bikes. At least it does on my 1100E. Orange/White (again, on my 1100E) are +12V from the battery and go to the positive coil terminal. The other two are switched to ground through the ignitor.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

The coil plugs can look ok but the wires can be corroded in the terminals.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

any suggestions.
              First suggestion is to tell us what bike we are discussing.

Left coil not getting power on the ground wire which is white. I have power on all 3 other wires.
              "Not getting power on the ground wire" is actually quite NORMAL and EXPECTED.

And what are the "3 other wires"? Every coil I have seen DOES have 4 wires, but one supplies power, one goes to the points (mechanical or electronic), two go to the spark plugs. The closest thing to a "ground" wire is the one that goes to the points.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry my bike is an 81 GS650G. 35000 kms on it. Sat for 20 years ran great first 2-3 months after valve/carb work.

I have power on the 2-3 could spark everything is good. The left coil is getting power on the hot side when i use the bikes ground it shows power to the coil but it will not show power when i use the - terminal for the ground. The other coil does that fine.

I can get coil 1-4 running if i jump it from the - terminal on the 2-r coil.

Comment

Where are you measuring the voltages ?
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

So you're saying that if you switch the ground wires (not the OW) and you get the other coil to spark?
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Let me try to explain how coils work. First you have 12v on the + primary side of the coil. That energizes the coil when the - side of the coil is grounded. That is the normal condition with the bike not running, ignition on. Now to get a spark you have to remove/disconnect the ground via points opening or ignition (CDI) box switching it off of ground at the proper time. The energized coil "field" collapses and generates a spark on the secondary or high tension coil firing the spark plug.

So that narrows down your problem to one of 3 things to check. First disconnect the coil primary wires and measure the resistance of the primary coil. Should be 3 to 5 ohms. If you get below 2.5 ohms or you get more than 5 ohms the coil is bad. Usually they will read very high resistance like 2k ohm or open (infinity) when bad.

Now if the primary resistance is between 3 and 5 ohms then check the wiring to the ignitor. If connector is clean that is usually not your problem.

So that leads us to the pulser or signal generator. Look in the Factory Service Manual for your bike and use the resistance check. Typically 250 to 350 ohms but check for your model for the value and which wires to check. If that checks good then your Ignitor box (CDI) is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
                        Let me try to explain how coils work. First you have 12v on the + primary side of the coil. That energizes the coil when the - side of the coil is grounded. That is the normal condition with the bike not running, ignition on. Now to get a spark you have to remove/disconnect the ground via points opening or ignition (CDI) box switching it off of ground at the proper time. The energized coil "field" collapses and generates a spark on the secondary or high tension coil firing the spark plug.

So that narrows down your problem to one of 3 things to check. First disconnect the coil primary wires and measure the resistance of the primary coil. Should be 3 to 5 ohms. If you get below 2.5 ohms or you get more than 5 ohms the coil is bad. Usually they will read very high resistance like 2k ohm or open (infinity) when bad.

Now if the primary resistance is between 3 and 5 ohms then check the wiring to the ignitor. If connector is clean that is usually not your problem.

So that leads us to the pulser or signal generator. Look in the Factory Service Manual for your bike and use the resistance check. Typically 250 to 350 ohms but check for your model for the value and which wires to check. If that checks good then your Ignitor box (CDI) is bad.
                        Sorry for the huge delay got busy with work and had to put the bike on the back burner.

I tested all my coils by switching them out back and forth. I have 4 coils (2 on bike 2 spare) and they all work when connected on "the good side". The pulser says 150 ohms I think this is my problem. I checked the switch on the handle bars and there was almost no corrosion in there. So I am going to try a new pulsar and see where that takes me.

Comment

Sorry for the huge delay got busy with work and had to put the bike on the back burner.

I tested all my coils by switching them out back and forth. I have 4 coils (2 on bike 2 spare) and they all work when connected on "the good side". The pulser says 150 ohms I think this is my problem. I checked the switch on the handle bars and there was almost no corrosion in there. So I am going to try a new pulsar and see where that takes me.
                          What does the FSM say the value should be for your bike?

Comment

so what you need to do is the ignitor test, which is outlined in the FSM, this is taking into the equation that you have the factory ignitor, and not an aftermarket unit like the dynatek ds unit. the factory ignitor is located on the same plate as your r/r underneath your airbox.

-what you need to do is pull the plugs from cylinders 1 & 2, then locate the connector with the blue & green wires found behind the left side cover by the battery.
                            -disconnect it and figure out which side runs to the ignitor, leave the ignition key off the whole time you are doing this test.
                            -once you've found out which one goes to the ignitor, set your meter to the continuity/diode setting.
                            -connect the black lead from the meter to the blue wire, then connect the red lead from the meter to the green wire.
                            -once you connect both leads, plug #1 should spark. disconnect the red lead and plug #2 should spark.

if only one plug sparks, then your ignitor has gone bad, which is getting more and more common with the 650s. you have 3 options if it has the factory ignition: 1) buy one from a member here or from ebay, which is a gamble if it works or not. 2) build a diy ignitor. these work. I built one for mine and worked well until one of the hei modules burned out on me. 3) buy an aftermarket ignition kit like the dynatec ds 3-2.

Comment

Working...
                            X