Charging issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Windsor View Post
    So do you think my new stator sounds like it could be the culprit for my charging problems?
    Do this test per Steve -it's not conclusive but means more than ohming..

"When testing resistance in the stator windings to ground, you are using a small battery in your meter to push current, probably just a 9 volt battery or even a couple AA cells. A stator wire would pretty much have to have a direct contact to the core to show any kind of problem there. When you test the voltage from any ONE wire to ground (with the engine running about 5000 RPM), you will have 60-90 volts going through the wire. If there was a small break in the insulation that was keeping the 9 volts insulated, it might arc through with 90 volts behind it. If you like, think of it as cracked insulation on your spark plug wires. Perfectly safe running a few volts through it to check resistance, but BOY, does it feel nasty when you get 30,000 volts jumping through the cracks. "
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post

"When testing resistance in the stator windings to ground, you are using a small battery in your meter to push current, probably just a 9 volt battery or even a couple AA cells. A stator wire would pretty much have to have a direct contact to the core to show any kind of problem there. When you test the voltage from any ONE wire to ground (with the engine running about 5000 RPM), you will have 60-90 volts going through the wire. If there was a small break in the insulation that was keeping the 9 volts insulated, it might arc through with 90 volts behind it. If you like, think of it as cracked insulation on your spark plug wires. Perfectly safe running a few volts through it to check resistance, but BOY, does it feel nasty when you get 30,000 volts jumping through the cracks. "
      Just do the Phase B tests. The leg to leg and leg to ground tests are described.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post

Just do the Phase B tests. The leg to leg and leg to ground tests are described.

EDIT: Sorry the Phase B includes the ohmmeter tests which are worthless.

Comment

So do you think my new stator sounds like it could be the culprit for my charging problems?
          I can't tell the way the testing is jumping around.

Comment

So, I checked the ac volts from the stator outputs (black multimeter lead) to the crankcase cover (red lead). It was .2-.5mV at 5000 rpm. Is that alright or bad?

Comment

So, I checked the ac volts from the stator outputs (black multimeter lead) to the crankcase cover (red lead). It was .2-.5mV at 5000 rpm. Is that alright or bad?
              If the meter is on the right setting then OK. When measuring AC leads polarity doesn't matter.
              Make sure you get 80 VAC leg to leg and then about zero leg to ground. Do it back to back to confirm the meter is set correctly.

Comment

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8705882352941177)]At 100-105v output, it had 1-3 to ground. [/COLOR]

Comment

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8705882352941177)]At 100-105v output, it had 1-3 to ground. [/COLOR]
                  I assume you got 100 vac at 6k rpm snd only a slight leakage 1-3. Vac at same rpm. That suggests the stator is functional but Has some underlying weakness probably not looking at charging voltages. If voltages are down it is likely something else.

Comment

Working...
                  X