GS850G Headlight bucket assembly replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Headlight bucket assembly replacement

I have an '80 850G with a Califia fairing. I'd like to remove the fairing and try a plexifairing in its place. I've taken apart the Califia, and find that the majority of innards are proprietary in nature and won't
    transplant into the factory headlight bucket, which thankfully they left on the bike. It also uses a sealed bean, which I'd prefer to upgrade. I've searched for a used 850 or 1000 assembly to no avail. So....anyone found a suitable aftermarket headlight assembly, or have a decent Suzuki assembly for sale?

Candlepower in Rockville, Md. has an excellent H4 reflector. I am not sure where to get the ring assembly but I believe they are the same as on the GS1000. Some members may have spares. I'll dig around and see If I have one. If not I'll call a friend up in Unison, Va. near you, He has a basement full of GS bikes and parts. http://store.candlepower.com/ca53mohe.html
    Last edited by OldVet66; 08-05-2016, 07:08 AM.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Thanks OldVet. I checked the Candlepower site. Looks like the 7" lenses are not available for a while. Any lead would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help on this.

Comment

Have a look at all the GS headlights on ebay, they seem to come in 2 designs: 2 holes arranged vertically or horizontally. Pretty much universal fit between engine size and year.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I can recommend the Koito 7" headlamp, which was fitted to Mitsubishi Shogun and Pajero - and likely many others at the time.
          It's one of the best 7" round units I've ever used, - right up there with Cibie (possibly a Cibie copy, but Koito had their own designers and computers), but at a fraction of the cost, especially used.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

My bike came with a cracked OEM housing and a sealed beam lamp. I replaced the housing with an EMGO unit (part # 66-65010) from Amazon (about $35) and a Candlepower H4 headlight (part # 702212) from Dennis Kirk (only 2 in stock by the way). The housing fit the bike using OEM bolts and the headlight fit the housing. I can now ride after dark!
            Last edited by hannibal; 08-08-2016, 02:44 PM. Reason: added price of EMGO housing
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

GS round headlights seemed to come in 6, 7, or 8" sizes. Within models that use the same size, the headlight assembly should interchange. Be careful mixing and matching components of the assembly, though. My 1000G is wearing a '77 750 headlight assembly (I think), but I found out the hard way that parts from the 1000G parts diagram wouldn't fit that assembly (trim ring, etc.). But any complete 7" assembly should fit the 850G. I think the 850GL were all 6", with chrome buckets.

Edit: Wow. Those new reflectors aren't cheap. Comparison shopping with a Truck-Lite LED might reveal an upgrade you're willing to pay for.
              Last edited by Dogma; 08-08-2016, 03:30 PM.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I have not seen the prices on the 'new reflectors', but I will definitely confirm that the TruckLite unit is worth the price, just forget the comparison.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X