Testing the ignition system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing the ignition system

OK so here comes more questions from another member that is not the most electrical inclined.
    I'm testing the ignition system with information I have from BikeCliffs website and this is what I have so far. The battery is an AGM type but it has been in the bike since I purchased it 8 years ago.
    The voltage across the terminals is 12.5 maybe on the low side but seems OK.
    The voltage at the coil connector plug is just shy of 12.4 (12.36-12.38).
    The voltage across the terminals while cranking the engine over with starter is only showing 10.8V. And with the headlight on it shows 10.7V.

Should I continue with any more testing at this point or is this a sign the battery is too low for proper testing?

Also at the points, the 2-3 side is only showing 10.98 and the 1-4 side is showing 11.04.........

Thanks for looking and hopefully providing some good information.

Larry
    Last edited by alke46; 08-08-2016, 03:41 PM.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

The 12.5 is a little low, but other numbers seem fine.. What ignition problem are you having?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Voltages are low. Either your battery needs a good charging or replacing. 8 years old, I'm betting on the replacing.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        The 12.5 is a little low, but other numbers seem fine.. What ignition problem are you having?
        No ignition problems, just trying to make sure everything is good so I can get a bike that is fine tuned. I have carb issues and when I have done plug chops, the 2-3 plugs always seem a little darker than 1-4.

I just dipped and installed new O-rings on this bike back in early spring but #2 carb has no response to the air screw being adjusted.

So that's where I am. Just trying to get all those little ducks lined up so I can maybe get this thing to perform better. Basically, it runs really well on the open road but around town it has some issues. The worst being a hanging idle. Looks like #2 carb needs further cleaning.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Ok, new carb o-rings, new boot o-rings too?? And #2 is second from left as you sit on bike?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Ok, new carb o-rings, new boot o-rings too?? And #2 is second from left as you sit on bike?
            Yes, #2 is on the left as you sit on the bike. Had new O-rings as well as new O-rings in the manifolds as well as new boots from carbs to air cleaner.
            Last week I was trying to set the carbs to the highest idle rpm with the air screws and #2 would not change the idle even with the screw turned fully in and as many as 5 turns out. No change.
            Also with this the spark plug naturally looks very sooty. Something wrong inside that carb for sure.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Have you measured the voltage across the terminals while it's idling, and at 5000 rpm?
              You should get high 12Vs or 13V at idle, and almost or more than 14V at 5000 rpm.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                Have you measured the voltage across the terminals while it's idling, and at 5000 rpm?
                You should get high 12Vs or 13V at idle, and almost or more than 14V at 5000 rpm.
                Yes, it passes these tests.
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Plugs 2 and 3 being darker than the others could mean a coil issue - maybe check the coils resistance (both).
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                  And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                    Plugs 2 and 3 being darker than the others could mean a coil issue - maybe check the coils resistance (both).
                    That's what I was thinking also but the 1-4 coil shows 4.6 ohms and the 2-3 coil shows 4.5 so I don't think I have a problem with the coils. But thanks for responding.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Are the carbs jetted any different for the middle two cylinders? I know the later 1150's had one size up main jet in the middle two to compensate for them running hotter (less fins / airflow than the outer cylinders).
                      Current:
                      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

No, all four carbs have the stock set-up -- #95 mains and #15 pilots.
                        Since my troubles appear to be carb related and not ignition, I guess this thread needs to end. I am going to be pulling the carbs off to see if I can determine what the issue is.

Hoping to find an absolute problem, one which can be corrected so I will have peace of mind when done.

Thanks for all the comments everybody. I will post in the carb forum when and if I can get this issue resolved. Wish me luck.

Larry
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Working...
                        X