Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicator lights or relay broke?

First thing - a big hello!

New member, purchased my first GS yesterday, a GS850G from 1979. Im a completely noob when it comes to technical issues, so please excuse my stupid questions. (remember: there is no stupid questions, just easy answers )
    The previous owner installed smaller indicators (bulbs, not LEDs). When I turn on the indicators they light constantly, only on the correct side, though. I notice that the relay only says a single "click" and not a "click-click-click" as I would expect.
    Is my relay broke?

Hi jakobzen and Welcome
    First this if you haven't already found it http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    Second it is unlikely that your flasher relay is broken
    LED bulbs draw much less current than the filament type. Unfortunately the flasher needs that current to work.
    There are three ways to approach this.
    a) go back to the old type bulbs
    b) get a new type flasher that works on low current
    c) wire in some extra load resistors with the LEDs to mimic the current draw of the old bulbs and keep the old flasher relay

Edit.
    Now that I actually read your post properly I see you don't have LEDs fitted. However it is still probably the case that the current draw is too low. What wattage are the 'small' bulbs ?
    The original were probably 21W and if the replacements are significantly less it will affect the operation of the flasher.
    Last edited by Brendan W; 08-09-2016, 01:52 PM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thank you very much for your quick response. The current bulbs are 12v/10w. I will try replacing them with 21w ones.

EDIT: my local shop didn't have those weird 21w bulbs, so I put on the stock indicator lights (which I was fortunate enough to get with the bike in a box along with a luggage carrier and some rusty bolts and pieces.) They work! hallelujah!

BTW: I changed oil and filter today, and thought I'd clean the air filter. Im not much of a technician, I've never worked on a motorbike before, but i think that the filter is broken IMG_0229.jpg
      Last edited by Jakobzen; 08-12-2016, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X