Charging system problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging system problem

S it seems I have a charging system problem. Battery goes about 0.2 volts when revved up. I installed an new sh775 r/r and a Caltric stator. I went thru the whole phase A of the stator paper and every thing seems to point to a bad stator. But the resistance between the stator leads are good. So I'm trying to figure out what to test or what could be wrong. One would think that with a new stator and r/r things should be ok. I did check all the connections. Redid the ground. New inline fuse.

Just for for reference it is a 77 GS750

could the rotor be bad bad our a bad stator?

battery 12.4
    with key on 12.1
    running about 12.18
    revving the engine about 12.39

checked the leads as the stator tests shows and step 2 and 3 are both under .25 volts

any suggestions?
    again electrical work is my weak spot

This Caltric stator that you installed... Was it an 18 pole unit? If so ,it won't work with the original rotor which was designed for a 12 pole unit.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

When I ordered it it said its meant for a 77-78 gs750 but the picture is a 18 pole so that is probably what is in there. I can't say for sure until I get back to the bike and and take the cover of. But if it is what was pictured its an 18

Comment

The 12 pole stators are harder to find for good price.... I think member Steve had one rewound unit left a few weeks back
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X