Me again, turn signals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bearjew View Post
    Got out tonight rode it and then took it apart lol. First I found the front turn signal wires. There is a plug with numerous wires. I guess the ones I need are in that plug group. Sorry again for the inverted pictures.
    Looks as though the PO has bodged up some horrible bent piece of alloy to hold the headlamp bucket in place. It won't last long. Neither will the instrument mount.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Ok, got the rear fender off tonight. Finally. It had been bent at the seat. Had to break it off one side so I guess this is a path of no return. I am now going to get a new taillight too. Looks like the PO had wired this one on anyway. Thanks for following along guys.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here we are.

This is where we stand tonight. More tomorrow hopefully
        Attached Files

Comment

Is it just me or does that rear tire look to be half the size of the front? I will look into that, could be the angle.

Comment

Is it just me or does that rear tire look to be half the size of the front? I will look into that, could be the angle.
            The stock front tire would be a 100/90-19 in today's tire sizing.
            The stock rear tire would be a 130/90-16.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The wires that you need to concern yourself with are:
              Light green is RIGHT turn signal
              Solid black is LEFT turn signal
              Black with white stripe is ground

If the front signals that you install have a 'running light' feature, that would be powered by a brown or gray wire at the front. Not sure about the GK, but other G bikes have double bullets on the wire so you can simply plug both lights in in the headlight bucket. However, the GK did not have a headlight bucket that close, so I don't know how they were wired.

I found the turn signals Steve. Green taped with its ground and black with its ground.
              I measured them with the voltage meter and they are getting power. They just aren't hooked up to anything.
              I also found out that they are the same color on the front wiring group. Green and black. So now to order some turn signals and wire them in.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2016, 01:25 AM.

Comment

However...

It looks like the PO along with some other wiring ad ons wired the back tail light in. After taking out the fender and tial light it doesn't work anymore. Guess I will put a new one on. Maybe I can wire a group together and clean up this mess.
                Attached Files

Comment

Also

I did find that these two gray wires are the only ones going to the tail light. So they must be the tail light wires.
                  Deductive reasoning lol.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    The stock front tire would be a 100/90-19 in today's tire sizing.
                    The stock rear tire would be a 130/90-16.

You are right on the money. Guess it just looked odd in the picture to me.

Comment

I wonder why the PO didnt just bypass the plug using the plug wires. I found the plug as seen in the picture just hanging out to the side when all the colors match those coming from the taillight. According to my voltage meter the plug works just fine too so what gives I wonder.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2016, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        Looks as though the PO has bodged up some horrible bent piece of alloy to hold the headlamp bucket in place. It won't last long. Neither will the instrument mount.
                        Actually it looks and feels pretty stable Grimly. I believe it came off another Suzuki just not this model.

Comment

Actually it looks and feels pretty stable Grimly. I believe it came off another Suzuki just not this model.
                          Normally there'd be a kind of triangulated bracket or at least an aftermarket bracket that fits around the upper parts of the stanchions, and is deep enough, top to bottom, to spread the load of the bucket and hold it steady. On strap either side won't do a lot for long.
                          ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I appreciate the info. I will see if I can find a more suitable set up. May find something that looks better anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X