To rebuild or replace starter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To rebuild or replace starter...

Hello! New member here! I stumbled across this GS1100GK from a friend of my dads. He gave it to me...wait for it...for FREE! WOOOO!!! Downside is that it has been sitting under a deck for 5+ years. The paint is still in excellent shape, though the polished metal does show corrosion. When I got it, the PO said it needed a new starter. I took the starter apart and found the two tabs on the stud broke, brushes not in the greatest shape, and the two legs(?) also broke. I soldered them back together and the starter works, but not enough to get the motor cranking as it should. I tried cranking without the plugs in, and it seemed slow as well. My question is, seeing as the starter is not in the greatest shape, should I buy another known working one, or buy the rebuild kit? What resistances should there be on the field coils, and between each commutator pad?

(Smoke is from PB Blaster, also tried with car battery, went a little faster, but no solid crank)

Also, the bike doesn't have spark, so I am going to check the signal generator tomorrow. I tried the test for the igniter and ohm meter, and it didn't spark. Any general procedure I should follow to check for the bad component? This is my first suzuki, though not my first bike ('78 honda cx500).
    20160831_232422_zpsaasky1mp.jpg

I have two good used starters that would work.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Get a new starter. I had a similar problem and bought a Rick's starter off Ebay for about $160. Big ( huge) difference.

I found Suzuki ignitions to be problematic and expensive. I replaced mine with a Dyna-S easily a few years ago. It was another no brainer. Good luck.

Comment

I'd go with one of those offered by Chef.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
        X