battery fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    I used to think that, now I know it stands gor "absorbed glass mat".

Assuming it's stock, my R/R is shunt, correct, and what I want is series, right?
    Right a Series RR. Don't forget to test the stator, chances are you probably will need a new one as well. Might as well start with a fresh new charging system.
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 09-07-2016, 06:53 PM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I still haven't done the hardest part - getting the battery post bolts to grab their nuts. (insert joke here).

I usually put paper or cardboard under to lift them.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I still haven't done the hardest part - getting the battery post bolts to grab their nuts. (insert joke here).

I usually put paper or cardboard under to lift them.
        A folded zip tie works well too.
        https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
        1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

My PO (a flipper) told me he rode with the brights on all the time. I wonder if that shunts a tiny bit away from the battery. I'm just so excited to have two gassed, charged bikes ready to run at a moments notice.

Anybody ever got deep scratches out of a face shield?

Harley question: I don't notice any helmet lock, not even a hook for storage while parked.

I bet they'll sell me something, though. That parts catalogue is their cash cow.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hers a battery lesson I learned from Honda. They were paying through the nose for battery warranties. Servicing a new battery.
            Fill with supplied acid.Leave caps OFF and let battery cool down from initial filling. 4-8hrs
            Charge with a Battery Tender with caps off until you get your green light. Let cool down again.
            Install caps and your ready to go. Cooling is important because excess heat will warp the very thin plates inside the battery. My last good, Yuasa AGM battery lasted me over 7 years. In winter, charge them once a month, never took one out in 20 years.
            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

My PO (a flipper) told me he rode with the brights on all the time. I wonder if that shunts a tiny bit away from the battery. I'm just so excited to have two gassed, charged bikes ready to run at a moments notice.

Anybody ever got deep scratches out of a face shield?

Harley question: I don't notice any helmet lock, not even a hook for storage while parked.

I bet they'll sell me something, though. That parts catalogue is their cash cow.
              Don't need one. Harley riders don't wear helmets....
              You DID find the 2 latches under the seat, right?
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                Right a Series RR. Don't forget to test the stator, chances are you probably will need a new one as well. Might as well start with a fresh new charging system.
                Assuming it's stock, my R/R is shunt, correct, and what I want is series, right?
                Just did some shopping for another member earlier this evening, get your stator HERE and your R/R HERE.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This:
                  Welcome to Caltric.com. We are the largest distributor for performance and aftermarket powersports parts in the United States. We manufacture and resell premium quality replacement parts for all the major powersports brands: Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Ducati, Aprilia and more! We are committed to providing the best service along with a broad selection of the highest quality OEM replacement parts and accessories for motorcycles, dirt bikes, ATVs, UTVs, 2x4 and 4x4s, snowmobiles, and watercraft. We value our customers' time and money as much as we value our success in business. Consequently, we strive to create quality working relationships with our customers by providing them with quality products at the lowest possible prices and excellent customer support. We hope you will enjoy shopping at Caltric.com.

is a series?

How does it compare to the Polaris most members are touting (SH-775?)?

Comment

Not a chance. It's a cheap shunt R/R.
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

The Caltric link was for the stator. Sorry, I did not realize that it did not filter down to that exact page.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X