Igniter woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Igniter woes

Currently I am trying to find a solution to my no spark problem on my GS1100GK. Over at bikecliff's site, I found an article on how to test and make a new igniter out of 2 HEI modules. When I did the test to check for spark, sadly it did not spark. When I checked the signal generator, I initially checked the green-black and blue-yellow combinations. Both readings were around 163ohm. However, the manual calls for green-yellow and blue-black, both of which read open. Which one of these combinations is correct?

As for the igniter itself, I followed the test in the manual, where you connect and ohm meter to the green-black wires and the blue-yellow wires. When I connected my meter to the wires, neither of the spark plugs fired. (Since I only have 2 good suzuki, I borrowed 2 of my honda resistor caps for this test. I made sure the caps worked by testing the coils.) Since my GK is an '84, it has the electrical advancing unit...? Since it has this, will the HEI trick work? I noticed in the tutorial that the igniter that he was rebuilding is different than mine, and the HEI schematic is missing the black and yellow wires. I do not want to buy the DynaS module, nor would I rather risk buying another igniter and have it die a week later. Here is a pic of the guts of my igniter, and the one in the tutorial, along with the schematic. What should I do?

You would have to add a mechanical advance unit onto the bike if attempting to use that HEI setup or a Dyna S. I suspect the older type signal generators may get along with the resistors speced in the HEI setup too.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      You would have to add a mechanical advance unit onto the bike if attempting to use that HEI setup or a Dyna S. I suspect the older type signal generators may get along with the resistors speced in the HEI setup too.
      Soooo basically I am SOL with this style igniter?

Comment

Read chuck78 post in this forum section.... He talks about C5 igntion - optical firing.

Won't let me fully copy and paste here, but scroll down their website to the suzuki section on
        SUZUKI GS1000 GS1100
        AIR

We provide:
        • Multiple spark technology providing three (3) sparks per compression stroke
        • Twin optical beam triggers to eliminate timing variations.
        • Four ignition maps provided to retard timing based on your load and fuel quality.
        • Section Bobbin coil rated over 100,000 volts with universal mounting plate.
        • Mounting hardware and color instructions.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by SirFoxx View Post
          Soooo basically I am SOL with this style igniter?
          Not really. The advance unit from an 850 or 1000 fits. If you decide to try the HEI setup I'd look for some early signal generators too.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So I think I may be in luck. In the manual, they use an ANALOG vo meter, which use C or D batteries. With those older meters, on the ohm setting, they output more voltage than the digital meter I have, and probably most of you guys as well. This is why my igniter is appearing bad. My digital VO meter is not outputting enough voltage to trigger the igniter. I saw on another forum that you can solder leads to a C or D battery and test the igniter that way, but I think I am just going to wait until my boots and starter to arrive to avoid damaging my igniter.

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Read chuck78 post in this forum section.... He talks about C5 igntion - optical firing.

Won't let me fully copy and paste here, but scroll down their website to the suzuki section on
            SUZUKI GS1000 GS1100
            AIR

We provide:
            • Multiple spark technology providing three (3) sparks per compression stroke
            • Twin optical beam triggers to eliminate timing variations.
            • Four ignition maps provided to retard timing based on your load and fuel quality.
            • Section Bobbin coil rated over 100,000 volts with universal mounting plate.
            • Mounting hardware and color instructions.
            Your link doesnt work...?

Comment

Try this,scroll down- their site is resisting me

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Can't add much but when I bought an advance unit from a points equipped GS1000 for my GS100GLX, found that it wouldn't work. The conformation of the back of the advance is quite a bit different than the advance used on models originally equipped with an electronic ignition. I wanted to use a points bike derived advance because it already has timing marks for both 1&4 and 2&3. Not sure if the design of the later advance was carried to the 1100 family but be aware that there were differences in the 1000 family based on points/electronic ignition.

Comment

Just to go back to trouble shooting your original issue;
                  Have you tested the coil ohms?
                  Have you checked all the plug wire connections?
                  Have you tried different coils in place of those you have?

The last worked for me, just changing the 2-3 coil, for a salvaged GS coil from ebay.
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine)
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                    Just to go back to trouble shooting your original issue;
                    Have you tested the coil ohms?
                    Have you checked all the plug wire connections?
                    Have you tried different coils in place of those you have?

The last worked for me, just changing the 2-3 coil, for a salvaged GS coil from ebay.
                    With the 5k plug caps installed, what should the resistance of the coils be? And I don't have spare coils for this bike anyhow.

I installed the new ngk caps and the starter--cranks as it should, though it doesn't spark still. Is there anyone that has one of these bikes that may provide readings for me? I'm at a loss as to what else to check.

Comment

I just did the test with the 'D' battery where you check the igniter by simulating a pulse from the pickups, and it didnt spark. I've made sure all the connections are good, and everything is getting +12v. This igniter is dead, Jim. Guess I will be looking for a replacement one. . .

Comment

I made I diy ignitor for the 81 650g that I had and it worked fine, and it had the all electronic ignitor on it. the original build tutorial I think was for earlier models, but still worked for me. I think the reasons my diy died on me was the fact I used the dyna 3k ohm coils and I didn't have any heat sink compound between the metal switch box and the hei units. and it worked with the stock signal generator.

Comment

Working...
                        X